Help breeding leopard geckos

So I just got a male two days ago for breeding I am new to it so i put the male in with my female and he keeps trying to breed with them and they kind or run off or fight with him can someone please give me some tips or reasons why this is thanks

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The females will not be receptive until they are ovulating. For most leopard geckos this begins in late winter, around February. It's likely that your females aren't ovulating and aren't interested. Also, when you get a new gecko, you need to quarantine it for at least a month and, even better, after the quarantine is over, have it tested for cryptosporidiosis (this can be done with a vent swab; a poop sample isn't necessary). I always quarantined but didn't test and since 2017 I have a crypto positive collection due to a gecko I bought that didn't show crypto symptoms (diarrhea and weight loss) until the quarantine had ended.

Aliza

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
You would have to tell your vet that you want to test for crypto. With just one leopard gecko (or a small number, since you should now test all of them), they may want to have you bring them in and they'll do it themselves. I had about 70 geckos at the time and after bringing some of them in for swabbing, eventually they just gave me a bunch of swabs (they have to give you the kits) and let me do it myself. So, ask your vet what they want to do.

Aliza

Visit our friends