help crstie looks almost dead

adam&nikki

ok so heres the storry my mle crestie has been eating pooping and drinking with out a problem today i go into his tank and he is barely moving when i place him on the floor of the tank he just sits there lifeless i tried o feed him and he ignores his food (crickets) then whe i try to place one in his mouth he shakes it out im lost on what to do my vet is outa town and there isnt any other vets around me that deal in reptiles any ideas on what to do

p.s. i placed him in a smaller tak for the time being hes been housed by himself from day one and i gave him a good misting with warm water to help with humidity

sunshinegeckofarm

Obsessed with Leos
i wish i could give you some advice but i have experienced this myself lately and i have bought the entamoeba fix from pangea since what i have noticed in my few cresties that are not acting right act like they have entamoeba. i would order some entamoeba fix and maybe get some pedalite unflavored and try to hand feed it as much food as possible and keep it hydrated as much as possible but not too wet. I wish you good luck i hope he/she makes it. i know its heartbreaking to see them in this condition but unfortunately some just fail to survive i have learned that with breeding leos and just started breeding cresties that not all geckos are not as healthy as they appear. Good luck though its tough i know.

adam&nikki

i just checkd on him and he was flipped over on his back this is very heartbreaking to me becuz his mate passed away 2 days after she layd a clutch of eggs then the eggs didnt make it and now this is happening to me i placed him back on his feet im hopeing for the best

darkridder

Melissa the Scientist
I would get him into the vet. In his original setup was he on pwper towels or a particle substrate? Also did you get a necropsy of the female? You ant rule out entamoeba, but at the same time it could be a sever bacterial infection, or even an impaction. I know if my female suddenly died after egg laying, I would have not assumed it was from egg laying and got a necropsy done. Better to spent the extra $ on finding the problem then loose any more animals. So I really would get him into the vet because the way he sounds e-fix will not fix the problem, he may be impacted (yes even from paper towels can cause impactions), and this is causing for the decline.

adam&nikki

-
the female passed away in january so if there was and kinda bacterial or other infectious disease then it would have been brought out sooner then now he was on a repti carpet so loose substrate wasnt a factor either

on a very sad note i just checked on him and he has passed away thanks to every one that has posted on this subject

darkridder

Melissa the Scientist
actually no it doesnt need to happen that quickly. If the animal is strong and healthy, it can combat a bacterial infection for quite a long time until evetually the bad bacteria outnumber the good gut bacteria and start to over take. Remember these guys always have the bad stuff in them, it is just a matter of when a stressfull situation arises that it can over whelm. And I am not trying to call you a bad gecko parent because of it, but for me a dead could do alot of damage at my house, and to better asumure my mind as to what it was, I would have gotten a necropsy.

But I am sad to hear of your loss, sometimes things just do happen to quickly and not much can be done, esp if it is on a weekend.

adam&nikki

actually no it doesnt need to happen that quickly. If the animal is strong and healthy, it can combat a bacterial infection for quite a long time until evetually the bad bacteria outnumber the good gut bacteria and start to over take. Remember these guys always have the bad stuff in them, it is just a matter of when a stressfull situation arises that it can over whelm. And I am not trying to call you a bad gecko parent because of it, but for me a dead could do alot of damage at my house, and to better asumure my mind as to what it was, I would have gotten a necropsy.

But I am sad to hear of your loss, sometimes things just do happen to quickly and not much can be done, esp if it is on a weekend.

i do not think i am a bad gecko parent at all i have 9 leos 3 green amevias 2 corn snakes 1 ball python and a chamleon that are all heathy and yes i do know what damage can be done in my house just the same i just was asking what i could do till my vet was back in town since they are gone away for a week and im not going to shy away from cresties now actually am already looking for a breeding pair its just very sad cuz one day hes heathy then the next hes gone

sunshinegeckofarm

Obsessed with Leos
im sorry for both of your losses. make sure you clean those enclosures where you kept them with bleach and have them sit in the sun for a few days and clean everything with bleach that was in there if its disposable throw it out if it can be cleaned and germfree then clean it with bleach and sit it outside in the sun for a few days at least. sometimes it happens that they just all of a sudden go from good to bad real quick. i have experienced it myself. i hope you can find yourself a good pair that stays healthy for you and you go to have nice babies from them.

Visit our friends