HELP DAWSONS GECKO

Jordan1

Dawson's gecko is in serious need of help her tail has became very skinny and she is not eating dawson has tried to do everything and right now he's stressing out over the fact that his gecko's tail is so skinny and is in no health condition.As we speak dawson is online searching online stores and is looking for someplace to buy waxworms he lives in halifax any clue on where to get them, Also even if dawson get waxworms she won't eat is there an other way to feed her with out hurting her, If you are thinking about syringe feeding thats not an option as its very risky for first 1-2 year beginner reptile owners such as him and me. please help, comment below any kind of advice, like this status to show you care about dawsons gecko. please help doesn't matter if the advice doesn't seem correct we'll try everything you's tell us. thank you.

-jordan-

Jordan1

well some of that i cant anwser but its been almost a month since it ate, and it bite the crickets but dawson found the cricket carcass outside the hide, as for mealworms i think it ate some without throwing them up but she ate very little and temp on the hotside not sure i think he said it was 78oF or 80 but im not sure

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
I second the method of trying Repta Boost and elevating the temps!

BuddyTony

I found out his problem!!!!!!! it was the leopard gecko calcium! he was used to d3 calcium but whem=n i switch to leopard gecko calcium i guess he didnt like the taste so now hes eating and i have a little bowl of d3 calcium inside his cage. all keep ya updated on his recovery process​

Caleb C

You're not supposed to have d3 in the enclosure with them, they don't need much d3, so just dust once a week or so, the only calcium that should be available to them is the one w/o d3, and it's not even necessary unless they're breeder females.

Jordan1

well shes in no condition to not have anything and if its for breeder females shouldnt it help keep the tail big and fat? see my logic?

Jordan1

oh i see whhat you mean i myself have d3 calcium in my tank but i think ill remove it now that you told me about it are you sure about this

Jordan1

oh well ya the pet store gave me d3 calcium with my newer gecko and i didnt want to use up the calcium i already had so i used it

Geckomaster743

oh well ya the pet store gave me d3 calcium with my newer gecko and i didnt want to use up the calcium i already had so i used it
Heres what i have to say.
1. Every one is right Nocturnal species don't need much D3. Plain calcium is best. If you want multi - vitamins make sure they contain Vitamin A but in good doses so your gecko dose not get Vitamin A Poisoning.
2. Don't listen to pet store employes, This is why we have a forum. We share information here with each other and we make our own decisions as a group and there is plenty of information to go around to those who need it. If you want to listen to a pet store I'm sure local herp shops sell better supplies, better quality and they know what they are talking about.
3. There are a lot of reasons for why the gecko may stop eating and i have a list that you should some day come back to if this every happens.
3A. Parasites.
3B. Lack of Vitamins
3C. Lack of Heat ( They won't eat when they are cold )
3D. More Space, You can't cram them. ( 10 Gallon/20 Gallon is Ok I mean a plastic box )
3E. Lack of Water.
4. Your not too young to syringe feed. Ive had my geckos for less then a year but i syringe feed ALL the time. If a gecko refuses to drink from a syringe put a LITTLE on there nose so they try to lick it off once they do that they will have there tongues out and you put it on there tongue. They will begin to drink it but don't go to fast so you can make sure they swallow. If your ever sure there are parasites involved see a vet. That personally is out of your hands.

Visit our friends