HELP GECKO ACTING STRANGE

Rose.m

I have a two year old female leopard gecko Who is usually a little chubby and usually has calcium bubbles under her arms but about two months ago she started acting strange not eating a lot if at all, losing weight and shedding every one to two weeks and they are all bad sheds with shed stuck on toes and face.then a few days ago she layed one infertile squishy egg.this is the first time she had ever layed an egg she is the only gecko I have.now she ate one meal worm and seems interested in them but won’t actually go for them.and now her back and front legs are spazzing.i have calcium in her tank at all times I don’t know what to do I’m very worried she is getting mbd if anyone can help me it could really help me out.

Lil Biscuit

Jeezums, first of all take out the calcium bowl. No more calcium dusting for a little while. Until her calcium bubbles are completely gone. You really don't have to give her it that often. Lets say you feed her every other day. I'd DUST her food every third feeding. But NO more dusting for awhile, quite awhile. Keep updating me on this please.

Okay so one thing, a big thing, over calcifying can do, is in a way solidify her body. Very similar to MBD, perhaps it's even labeled as the same thing.

If she's laying infertile eggs then her body's using a lot of energy and may be highly stressed. So she might just not want to eat, and that's fineISH. Probably just for a week maybe two. One other possibility is she doesn't want mealies specifically. Try something new to her and highly nutrition (cuz eggs ain't cheap in nutrition). I reccoment butterworms (not as a stable feeder), dubia roaches (smaller than face rule thingy) and can have quite a few regularly. There are others but really I'd just avoid mealies for a bit.

Does she have a moist hide? Maybe she didn't need it before but she does now, she might also be going through a growth spurt? She might've also always done it this often (they she'd quickly over night and eat it) but recently is having more troubles shedding so, bathing (daily? Every other day? Your call but bathing required) and a humid hide, changed daily.

Also I have no idea how excpierenced you are but I'd check her tummy, large amounts of blue are BAD and mean impaction. This could be a part of her major problem. To check flip her but I wouldn't cuz she's very stressed already. So put her in a clear container and look underneath. If she does I'd take her off of any loose substrate.

None of this a complete nor thero thingy so please do your own research.

Summary, calcium bubbles do not mean too little they mean TOO much calcium. Too much of any good thing is bad.

Rose.m

Thank you for your reply she doesn’t have bubbles anymore she only had them before she Stopped eating and acting weird. she’s thin and her tail is thin,she has a moist hide at all times I changed her calcium dusting to when she only eats, she’s starting to eat again but not as much as she used to only about one meal worm a week I try to give her other things to eat other then meal worms but she won’t go for them or she’s to slow and gives up on crickets.shes not on any loose substrate I only use reptile carpet and she has a tile in The corner she goes to the bathroom in. Thank you for your help this is my first reptile and I feel like I learn something new every day. I try my best to give her the best life as possible.

Lil Biscuit

Okay sounds like you're doing your best.. I'm not quite sure what her problem is but my old Leo Baby Cakes died (a few years ago). I fear yours may be facing the same problem. Okay so mine had sand build up in her tummy (it was a lot) this is why I said to check her/his underside and tell me what you see. Your gecko is in rough condition. Where did you get it and what was in it's previous tank. More specifically was they're sand.

I'm not sure her problem. She was eating before this correct? How much? How long have you had her? A meal worms nutrition is actually garbage. Gut load a cricket, great it's two big back hoppy legs and see if she'll go get it, if still too fast break more of it's legs.

If all else fails, force feed her, look up totorials. Avoid a large amount of shell creatures. Hard to digest and she's not in good shape to handle them.

She needs to eat soon, like this week. A good amount. You could try blending a bunch of bugs, putting them in a plastic syringe like what you'd do for a kitten and force feed her best you can.

Lack of food Leeds to siezures and strokes (leg spasms as you put it). Aka she's starving.

Rose.m

I got her from pet co 2 years ago and from the looks of it they don’t take very good care of there pets she was in a very tiny sand tank with other geckos so I brought her to the vet A few months after I got her and they Gave her a full examination and x rays and said she was healthy.her belly looks completely normal underneath she was eating before all this happened about 4 times a week 2 - 4 dusted worms at a time.she used to eat the gut loaded crickets when she was faster every other feeding day when she was under a year old but now since she’s slow I’m going to try what you suggested.the vet also recommended chicken Baby food mixed with her vitamins or calcium powder for when she’s not eating and it will apparently help her start eating again. thank you so much for your help.

Lil Biscuit

Did the vet take a fecal sample? I think she might actually have some sickness. Maybe parasites as she lost weight very fast? I hope she gets better

Rose.m

He didn’t take one I didn’t think of that, I’m going to try to bring one in to them tomorrow if she poops by then, thank you again for your help I really appreciate it

Lil Biscuit

Your vet should've recommended it. Kinda incompetent. But none the less, best of luck with your lil leo, update me.

Visit our friends