Help Gecko Dying

random gecko owner

I have a about a 4 year old leopard gecko who lost weight quickly and stopped eating. It's been going on for a few weeks and only getting worse. Her stool is normal, she won't move, she's extremely stiff and really thin. She's not dead she will sometimes roll onto her back or move around her tank at night in very small amounts. I have tried syringe feeding her and she eats but not very much before she refuses to open her mouth even with a little prying. She doesn't move almost at all therefore won't drink. I thought it could be crypto but couldn't find a way she would contract it.

Any help is appreciated thanks.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I agree that if you've had this gecko for 4 years (and you haven't gotten any new geckos since then), it's likely that she doesn't have crypto. On the other hand, I have an entire household of crypto positive geckos for the past 6 years and after losing a bunch to the disease, all the ones I have now look incredibly healthy, so there is the slightest chance that she actually was crypto positive when you got her but it's just manifested now. It's also possible that she had some unseen medical problem that has shown up now for some reason.
I also have a gecko at the end of his life. In this case, he is 19 years old and I've had him since he was a young juvenile. He's just old, and drifting away. He also won't eat but I notice that if I spray a little water on his face, he'll lick it up so I'm keeping him hydrated for comfort.
I'm sorry you're going through this. If you're curious, you could have the vet do a necroscopy once the gecko passes to see if there's anything that stands out. Otherwise, I think the best thing to do is to keep her as comfortable as possible, see if you can hydrate her, and let her go.

Aliza

Visit our friends