Help gecko not eating

I just got a male leopard gecko I put him in a 29 gallon and my females in a 20 the male wouldn’t eat so I switched there tanks the male ate in there tank but now the females won’t eat in the bigger tank the female is getting skinny what should I do.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
What are you offering the female? Is the tank warm enough (floor temp on the hot side should be in the low 90's)? If the female will let you pick her up you can try poking a feeder at her mouth and see if she'll bite it. Otherwise, she may need a reptile vet visit.

Aliza

What are you offering the female? Is the tank warm enough (floor temp on the hot side should be in the low 90's)? If the female will let you pick her up you can try poking a feeder at her mouth and see if she'll bite it. Otherwise, she may need a reptile vet visit.

Aliza
Ok the floor temp is definitely 90 I checked with a thermometer but one female will eat only one worm the male if he’s not in that tank won’t eat unless I give him the guts of the worm he will eat one if I force it in my hand the one female won’t eat at all I tried the hand gut feeder trick it didn’t work.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I don't know if it will help, but here are 2 articles I wrote about geckos not eating:

Aliza

Ok so I got the male to eat I had to cut off the super worms heads and kind of push the tail in his mouth he spit them up then ate 5 but how can I get him to eat on his own they usually do this around winter is that normal?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It can go either way. I have some geckos that I hand feed part of the year and they're independent the rest of the year. Other geckos have trained me to hand feed them permanently. You could do a combination of offering food some days and hand feeding other days. Some geckos do slow down a lot as the days get shorter. No matter what you choose to do, if the gecko is not really losing much weight it's probably OK.

Aliza

Visit our friends