Help MBD Day Gecko

Juu

Hi, recently I took in two Adult Giant Day Geckos. I took in a Male from Craigslist and a female from a reptile store. I've been keeping them together in a bioactive Enclosure but what i've noticed is that the male seems to just sit at the bottom and rarely comes out. I had the male for almost 3-4 weeks before the female and the behavior hasn't changed so I don't think its the issue with the other gecko. At first I thought it was just stress to moving that's he stayed at the bottom but its been a while and he doesn't move much. I contacted the previous owners and they never used a uvb light with him so Im pretty certain its MBD. He also cant stick almost at all to anything. Occasionally when i see him walk his hand sometimes stutters in the air very shakily. From what i;ve researched this all points to MBD. I haven't seen him eat any insects or repashy. The previous owners I believe only fed super worms. I've offered dubias,mealworms,crickets superworms and he doesn't seem to eat. The only way i've got him to eat is putting repashy,mashed bannana, honey or a mixture and putting it on his nose where he'll occasionally eat it up. Recently i've seperated him from the previous enclosure that they share to something smaller because due to him not being sticky he cant get up to the basking spots on his own to reach the uvb. What ive done before is manually help him and put him by the basking spot but that I dont know if thats the best thing to do. My other female gecko has been doing fine shes been eating everything, shes very active explores,hunts and jumps across the glass but im worried what to do with my male. If anyone has any suggestions or help thatd be appreciated thank you

Attachments

• IMG-2970 (1).jpg
    IMG-2970 (1).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG-2971.jpg
    IMG-2971.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG-2972.jpg
    IMG-2972.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG-2973.jpg
    IMG-2973.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Is the one in the picture the male? One thing you can try is to put a dish of calcium with D3 in the enclosure on the bottom so he can lick it. If there's any way you can get him to a vet, that could be a good idea.
In general, if you're getting 2 geckos from 2 different sources, it's best to quarantine them from each other for at least a month.
Good luck with him.

Aliza

Reactions: Juu

Juu

Is the one in the picture the male? One thing you can try is to put a dish of calcium with D3 in the enclosure on the bottom so he can lick it. If there's any way you can get him to a vet, that could be a good idea.
In general, if you're getting 2 geckos from 2 different sources, it's best to quarantine them from each other for at least a month.
Good luck with him.

Aliza
Thank you for the advice I've been leaving calcium in its own dish for him as well as sprinkling it on the repashy when i've fed him. The gecko in the picture is the male and this is my female.

Attachments

• IMG-2956.jpg
    IMG-2956.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

sunfighter

You could mix a little calcium in the honey that you say he will lick from his nose. I'm not sure that MBD is curable. Black soldier fly larvae are high in calcium and I've heard that feeding them can cure it. I have a trio of P. grandis named Kookla, Fran and Ollie. Am I dating myself?

Visit our friends