Help me plan the enclosure for my first Leo?

Futureboundexe

So I got a big enclosure for free that’s 2.5x1.5x1.5 feet. The previous owner had a leopard gecko and with some research I’ve found this is a good size for a leo, and I’ve been wanting one since I was 5 so I think it’s time to start planning for one. I am slightly worried about the glass top instead of screen top, I won’t be able to use any uvb lighting and will have to dose D3 and calcium, so sharing your supplement schedules if you also have no uvb for a Leo would be awesome. Plus humidity, I’m wondering how big of a deal this is because the humidity in my area ranges wildly and might get too high/too low depending on the weather, ways to lower humidity is something I have no knowledge of. Raising it is easy with a spritz, but how the heck can you lower it if it gets too high?

Last edited:

2134Bean

Personally I would make sure to get a screen or mesh top to make make sure there is enough ventilation, having uvb won't benefit much if at all because they will be hiding and asleep most if not all day so supplements are a must. I'll share a link to a YouTube video that will tell you everything lol. heat lights and room/space heaters will lower humidity, also having more airflow like the screen lid with help with not being too damp. Also as a beginner I would recommend starting them on paper towel, it's easy to clean, the humidity won't get way too high, and there's no risk of impaction from substrates, and if you ever use substrates stay away from calcium sand. And do your research! Lol. I wish you luck with everything!

Last edited:

Futureboundexe

Personally I would make sure to get a screen or mesh top to make make sure there is enough ventilation, having uvb won't benefit much if at all because they will be hiding and asleep most if not all day so supplements are a must. I'll share a link to a YouTube video that will tell you everything lol. heat lights and room/space heaters will lower humidity, also having more airflow like the screen lid with help with not being too damp. Also as a beginner I would recommend starting them on paper towel, it's easy to clean, the humidity won't get way too high, and there's no risk of impaction from substrates, and if you ever use substrates stay away from calcium sand. And do your research! Lol. I wish you luck with everything!
I already have the big enclosure so I don’t wanna get another one, I wouldn’t be able to afford something that large so if I buy a new one it’s gonna be a lot smaller. Where I live terrariums and aquariums are insanely expensive, a ONE GALLON is 50$, a 10 gallon is 150$, an appropriately sized terrarium like the one I already have would cost me 500$. the front opening doors on the glass enclosure are plastic and removable, I bet you I could finess some sliding screen doors to put in there and give more ventilation! At a way lower price too. I’d rather do something to this current enclosure to make it more appropriate and then save that 500$ towards future possible vet bills. And yeah I’m not getting my leopard gecko for months and months, I’ll probably get one in April. I’m starting my research now so I’m fully prepared

2134Bean

I already have the big enclosure so I don’t wanna get another one, I wouldn’t be able to afford something that large so if I buy a new one it’s gonna be a lot smaller. Where I live terrariums and aquariums are insanely expensive, a ONE GALLON is 50$, a 10 gallon is 150$, an appropriately sized terrarium like the one I already have would cost me 500$. the front opening doors on the glass enclosure are plastic and removable, I bet you I could finess some sliding screen doors to put in there and give more ventilation! At a way lower price too. I’d rather do something to this current enclosure to make it more appropriate and then save that 500$ towards future possible vet bills. And yeah I’m not getting my leopard gecko for months and months, I’ll probably get one in April. I’m starting my research now so I’m fully prepared
If you're looking for a really cheap setup you could always get a 28 quart tub or bigger and that would be much cheaper, I'd recommend buying window mesh and cut holes out of the top of the tub and hot glue the cut mesh onto it to help with ventilation. This may be a little more hands on and diy. But it will save you copious amounts of money and will still be sufficient for you animal. Just add a under the tank heating pad, a thermostat to control the temperature, and a digital hygrometer and thermometer combo so you can check the temps and humidities.

2134Bean

I'd recommend checking out the YouTube channel literally named leopard gecko. She knows alot about leopard geckos and explains it in a really great way, definitely worth checking out!

Futureboundexe

I'd recommend checking out the YouTube channel literally named leopard gecko. She knows alot about leopard geckos and explains it in a really great way, definitely worth checking out!
Been watching every one of her videos over the past month! Super helpful channel for sure

Visit our friends