HELP MY CRESTED GECKO CANT CLIMB

Caroline_cresties

Hi, this is my first time posting so I don’t know exactly how this works. I just adopted a 5 year old crested gecko 2 days ago who seems to be super healthy. I just have noticed that he can not stick on smooth surfaces such as glass and other smooth things. He tries to climb but just slips. He can climb his vines and mesh, when I handle him his feet feel “sticky”. His humidity is about 70-80 in the morning and evening after I sprayed his enclosure and during the day stays at in the high 50s and 60s. Tempature is around 72 during the day but falls to about 67-69 at night. Wondering what is wrong and if there is anything I can do.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's encouraging that he can climb things besides glass. It's not unusual for a crested gecko to have trouble sticking to the glass if you've just misted (mine often fall off the glass after I mist) or if it's just shed. Give it a few days and see how it does with dry glass. If it continues to be a problem, check its food to make sure it's getting enough calcium and D3 (any CGD that's a "complete diet" will have these things in it and if it eats crickets, be sure to dust them with calcium and D3).

Aliza

Caroline_cresties

It's encouraging that he can climb things besides glass. It's not unusual for a crested gecko to have trouble sticking to the glass if you've just misted (mine often fall off the glass after I mist) or if it's just shed. Give it a few days and see how it does with dry glass. If it continues to be a problem, check its food to make sure it's getting enough calcium and D3 (any CGD that's a "complete diet" will have these things in it and if it eats crickets, be sure to dust them with calcium and D3).

Aliza
Ok, thank you. I just got him and he hasn't eaten yet. Any recommendations.

DoodlyDoo2021

Also they can’t stick if they are about to shed. At least mine can’t He also has a hard time sticking when the glass is super clean. Which you would think would be better…
As far as food goes. Keep offering it daily.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Feeding recommendations: get a few small bags of Pangea CGD and put a small amount (like maybe 1/2 tsp hydrated with 1-1.5 tsp of water) in a bowl. If he'll let you touch him, you can rub some on his nose and he'll lick it. Be aware that often it doesn't look as if the gecko has eaten anything but he may be licking small amounts (look for poop in the cage). Put a few adult crickets in the cage. Crested geckos usually like hunting them.

Aliza

Visit our friends