HELP please - gecko not eating

andienash21

Please help - I have a 1-2 yr old leopard gecko, who had a blockage because of sand substrate. This has now passed but she is still not eating , I am very worried as it has now been a few weeks and she is very thin! I have tried force feeding mealworms but she is just tossing them away?
as there’s no vet nearby available I am desperate for help.
What can I try?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Here are some ideas: Hold her and poke a feeder at her mouth. See if she will bite it. If not, squish one (I know it's gross) and rub the guts on her mouth. Hopefully she will lick it off. There are some powdered formulas that you can add water to and make a paste to feed a reluctant gecko. One is called Carnivore Care. See if your pet store stocks anything like that. In a pinch, sometimes baby food chicken can provide some nutrition, though it isn't ideal.
Regarding the blockage: do you know why your gecko was blocked? If so, have you done something to fix the problem? Do you know for sure that the gecko is no longer blocked? Has the gecko been getting vitamin D3 and Calcium supplements?

Aliza

andienash21

Thank you so much for the tips, she was blocked up I believe because of the sand substrate she was on, I switched her off of that and after a week or so she started Pooing regularly and seemed to start eating again in small amounts but then stopped again. I’ve been struggling with the supplements as I usually gut load her food but as she hasn’t been eating im not sure how to?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
You can dip your finger in water, then dip it in the calcium/vitaminD3 powder so you get some stuck on your finger. Rub that on the gecko's mouth. Gutloading the feeders is different from providing supplements. The gut loading makes them more nutritious and the supplementing gives the gecko the vitamins and minerals it needs.

Aliza

CaperJenJen

My gecko got sick in November and was vomiting. The vet could not find a problem other than temps, so I got a new over the tank heater but she still wouldn't eat. She went 4+ weeks and lost 25 grams. Luckily she was quite chunky before she got sick with a big fat tail, so it was enough to keep her going. She absolutely refused to eat meal worms or super worms, so I grabbed some butter and wax worms and she finally ate again! They aren't ideal for a feeder, but it may entice one that hasn't been eating to give it try, but they should only be a treat. Ours will now eat a FEW meal worms, but I give a few treats through the week and she is back to healthy and happy! I keep a pop cap full of calcium with D in her tank to lick at free will and she does! And I freshen her treated water every day...she loves water! ❤️ I hope your little one eats soon...its scary when they don't for so long!

KatieG

Here are some ideas: Hold her and poke a feeder at her mouth. See if she will bite it. If not, squish one (I know it's gross) and rub the guts on her mouth. Hopefully she will lick it off. There are some powdered formulas that you can add water to and make a paste to feed a reluctant gecko. One is called Carnivore Care. See if your pet store stocks anything like that. In a pinch, sometimes baby food chicken can provide some nutrition, though it isn't ideal.
Regarding the blockage: do you know why your gecko was blocked? If so, have you done something to fix the problem? Do you know for sure that the gecko is no longer blocked? Has the gecko been getting vitamin D3 and Calcium supplements?

Aliza
The carnivore care is great!!

andienash21

Thank you so much for your help! I managed to get her to eat a wax worm and will be starting to try locust and crickets so hopefully it’s better from here.

Thank you

Visit our friends