HELP, POSSIBLY SICK LEACHIANUS

SuperMario

Hey, so my Leachianus gecko hasn’t eaten much for the past 7–10 days, and he is not as active as he usually is. I noticed this change in behavior after a 3-day cold front that caused temperatures to go as low as 45 degrees Fahrenheit (ca. 7 °C) outside our home. He is a 3-year-old male, almost at 12 inches (ca. 30 cm) long. Does anybody know what kind of sickness he could have? And if so what medication do you recommend I give him? And can anybody recommend a gecko vet in Miami? THANK YOU SO MUCH, I can send you more pictures if that would help :)

Please text me directly at 3054315534

-Mario

Attachments

• IMG_3671.jpg
    IMG_3671.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3672.jpg
    IMG_3672.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 5

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I'm no vet, but it's possible that the "sickness" he has is "winter". I know you're in FL, but I find that even in MA when the fall is pretty warm, the geckos seem to respond more to the amount of ambient light as opposed to the temperatures. I have a leachie who's about 12 and a number of gargoyles and crested geckos who range in age from 5-16. The usual pattern in my house is that around August-September, most of them are scarfing down CGD like there's no tomorrow, but by October, the amount of food intake goes down tremendously. I have one gargoyle and 1 crested gecko who are hardly eating at all. Everyone comes through OK, though. It's possible he may just be in winter mode.

Aliza

SuperMario

I'm no vet, but it's possible that the "sickness" he has is "winter". I know you're in FL, but I find that even in MA when the fall is pretty warm, the geckos seem to respond more to the amount of ambient light as opposed to the temperatures. I have a leachie who's about 12 and a number of gargoyles and crested geckos who range in age from 5-16. The usual pattern in my house is that around August-September, most of them are scarfing down CGD like there's no tomorrow, but by October, the amount of food intake goes down tremendously. I have one gargoyle and 1 crested gecko who are hardly eating at all. Everyone comes through OK, though. It's possible he may just be in winter mode.

Aliza
Very interesting, thank you for the response, is there a scientific term for “winter mode?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
One can call it "brumation" which is essentially the reptile version of hibernation. I think the difference is that while hibernation is usually a deep unbroken sleep, brumation is more a period of decreased activity and appetite. (check that to be sure). My bearded dragon is currently brumating. He's sleeping a lot of the time but during the day he is often in his sleep position (on his belly with his legs spread out) but his eyes are open some of that time and his head is up. He doesn't bask and doesn't really seem to want to eat.

Aliza

Visit our friends