Help! Rescue Leo?

laurahlove

So I went to petsmart today and I was looking at the reptiles like always and I saw this cute little leo drinking water. Then I realized his eyes were closed-struggling-and his tail was stick thin, and his legs, just basically all of him! My mouth dropped open. Wonderful petsmart. I couldnt not leave it there, it broke my heart. So I got a whole new set up, and got him. I set up his new tank with paper towels and a moist hide a regular hide, a water bowl and a calcium dish. I dont know exactly whats wrong with it, any advice?

laurahlove

Update: she pooped, but it was really watery and kind of green. And it looks like im going to be hand feeding for a little while, she ate 3 crickets out of my fingers, then fell asleep. Also, here are some pictures.
20140910_191849.jpg Im not sure if you can tell, but her spine is literally sticking out. 20140910_191855.jpg Here is her set up, moist hide, regular hide, and 50 watt bulb. 20140910_191907.jpg Her tail is stick thin. Once again, see her spine? 20140910_191916.jpg Better view from the top. 20140910_192053.jpg Okay, this is where I got really concerned. A good section of her belly was dark purple. That was the only picture I could get, she wouldnt let me hold her like that for more than a second. 20140910_192246.jpg So skinny :(

Anyone?

LeopardGeckoMom

Feces that are watery and/or contain blood or are green are almost always sighs of a problem. Other symptoms that can be associated with abnormal stools are lethargy, parasite infestation, or a bacterial infection. Geckos with abnormal feces should be taken to the vet, and a fecal sample should be examined, by the vet, for parasites or bacterial infection.
I hope she'll be ok! :(
It makes me so sad to see pet store geckos kept so completely poorly! They have to know that they look sick, but sell them anyway and never change... :(

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Yes, I agree with the above. Keep this gecko far away from any other reptiles you have. Handle it last and wash well after you handle it. I can understand your desire to rescue a gecko and I'm not going to say directly that you shouldn't have done it, but it's good to consider the fact that a gecko with a stick thin tail like that is most likely having more of a problem than just not getting enough to eat, it can put your other reptiles at risk, and it perpetuates poor treatment by Petco when people pay money for these guys.

Aliza

Amanda1

3 Year Member
I work with a rescue, and last year we got two in that looked like that. They were so small, I don't think they had ever eaten in their lives. One didn't make it, but the other one is fat and happy now. If he's eating and drinking and pooping that's a good start.

laurahlove

Yeah, Ive read a lot about diseases in leos, and im pretty sure she has some kind of a bacterial disease. When I woke up this morning she had either vomited or didnt digest those 2 crickets I fed her last night, because they were there. She ate 2 more earlier this morning, but I havent seen them come back up or out yet. :/ Im not going to handle her anymore unless I have to though

laurahlove

I ended up taking her back, because I couldn't spend 45 dollars on vet visits. It broke my heart to do that, but petsmart is required to give her veterinary care now. They said they would, and would take good care of her and give me updates. After cleaning out my tank really, really good, I ended up getting (from a real reptile store) a high yellow leopard :) I almost got a Mack Snow, Male, but he was 50 dollars. But she is really pretty c: just thought I'd update everyone! :D

chris050788

Hello sorry can anyone please help me with my leo and her eyes what is the problem. I beleive that its skin but i dont know how to remove it. Ive tried cotten buds but no joy she is now very skinny due to not eating. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410643522.390285.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410643535.356141.jpg

laurahlove

oh, :( poor baby, have you tried hand feeding her? do you keep sand as your substrate? if so, it could be an allergic reaction from that. I would take her to a vet immediately. also, take out the sand and put in paper towels immediately. if you dont have sand, it could be that she hasnt shed in a long while. do you remember the last time she shed?

chris050788

She has been to the vet last week and is now on anti biotics due to a black patch on her belly and being under weight. But she didnt seem concerned about her eyes even tho i told the vet she has been like this for about a month. She is due to shed again soon and she shed about 1 week or so ago. Ive read on the forums that the goo in one eye and the crust in the other is skin but its getting rid of it and keeping up her weight which is the problem. I managed to remove some skin from one eye with twezers but the other eye the skin was really stuck and i didnt want to pull it.

laurahlove

Thats odd that the vet didnt say anything about her eye, its obviously not okay.. do you use sand? Because it could be that a piece of sand is stuck under the skin. I would suggest going to another vet and asking for special drops they make for swollen leo eyes. But if you want to avoid another expensive vet visit ive read a lot that just normal saline solution you would use for contact lenses would help, too. Just one drop.
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Reptile-Health/Ask-A-Vet/Leopard-Gecko-Eye-Problem/
Thats just a little article talking about it. :)

Visit our friends