HELP - Stuck shed

MUD

My Leo has some shed stuck on her toes. I've read many post that say a lukewarm bath for 15 minutes but my girl starts climbing the walls right away. We have tried warming the water, cooling the water and everything. no luck.
I Saw post about using Qtips to wet the toes. She will put up with this some but it is not coming off.
Any more suggestions?
She has shed perfectly before...

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Fingernails! Get the toes wet. I use a spray bottle. Then use your fingernails to peel off the shed. A Q-tip won't do it. To make it easier, hold the gecko against your stomach and drape a big of your shirt over its head, so it thinks it's hiding.

Aliza

Reactions: MUD

MUD

We tried with a water bottle and got s little off but she does not like it. She is not thrashing or anything crazy but I don't want to make her upset to the point that she drops her tail (how upset would that be?)
I will attach pictures of what we believe is stuck shed on her toes.

Attachments

• 20211229_104946.jpg
    20211229_104946.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • 20211229_105043.jpg
    20211229_105043.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20211229_104952.jpg
    20211229_104952.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 20211229_105016.jpg
    20211229_105016.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2

Herpin Man

After moistening the gecko, use a wet paper towel, and fold it over the foot. Grip and peel- gently but firmly. The gecko doesn’t have to like it, but it needs to be done ASAP to prevent loss of toes.
It probably doesn’t need to be said at this point, but a proper moist hide will usually prevent this.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Based on the pictures, I'm not entirely sure that there is still shed stuck on any of the feet except the one labelled LB. But, I'm old and so are my eyes. The feet mostly just seem to have a frosted white coloring but not stuck shed. However, if it really looks like stuck shed then follow the instructions above. Leopard geckos don't tend to lose their tails at the drop of a hat (so to speak). You can also wrap it gently in a towel and then extract one foot at a time.

I also wanted to note that some of my geckos, all of whom have humid hides, sometimes have trouble shedding the skin on their feet even though they did shed in the humid hide.

Aliza

Reactions: MUD

MUD

We did a couple of soaks today and think her toes are fine now. Thanks for all the help, suggestions and encouragement. I hope we never have to do that again. ;-)

Visit our friends