help with heating

gunny bedford

My 10 year old son and I have recently purchased a full set up, including 6 month old gecko aptly christened by my son "spotty"...

I am a bit confused regarding the seeming multitude of heating/thermostat combinations out there, not even mentioning the lighting question !!

currently the set up we have has a heat pad controlled by thermostat and a fitting for a Exo terra moonlight lamp, that has a 50w bulb in it.

The problem is with both the heat pad and light on, the temp is perfect at both ends, 90f odd at the hot end and around 81f at the cool end. However having read posts here, most people state the heat pad should be capable of reaching these temps on its own, which in my case it cannot do, i turned the light of last night and left the heat pad running, in the morning the temps were in the 70's so below what it should be.

the heat pad works as does the thermostat, so i assume its just no powerful enough to heat the viv, on its own, its a 3ft viv, i have put a small layer of sand over the pad and topped this of with floor tiles, thinking this would conduct heat well. so should i get another pad, or keep it as is ? with both moon glow lamp and heat pad on 24/7 ?

thanks Neil

indyana

As I mentioned in your intro thread, I'd say the first thing is to get more accurate temp monitoring. Those little tank dials aren't accurate.

In general, the floor surface should be around 90 F. The air temp can get down to ~65-70 F at night without being dangerous, but if your home gets colder, you may want to invest in a ceramic heat emitter.

You can run lights for a day-night cycle if you want, but most people do not. Lights, especially the incandescent bulbs, can make the tank very dry, so if you really want lighting, consider a fluorescent light fixture. Definitely don't leave a light on 24/7.

Neon Aurora

EDIT: Rachel posted just before me and I agree with her, so deleted my post.

Although I would like to add, if you are measuring your temps with the dials and they are at 90, the floor is probably much too hot.

Last edited:

gunny bedford

ive had a look at the heating pad, it 10" by 12" and its power is 13 watts, is this sufficient in size/power, the viv is 3ft long and is made from wood

thanks

Neon Aurora

Hard to say without accurate measures of temps. Honestly, I've found that even my tiny heat pads (maybe 6 x 8 inches) get way too hot unregulated. I can't imagine yours would be a problem.

What you need is a digital thermometer with a probe you can place over the heat pad to measure the temperature of the floor surface.

There have been many people here that have done the same as you, with the little dials and using a heat pad and light until the dial measures 90 F, and in pretty much all cases the floor was too hot. IMO, that is just too much heating power.

lisa127

Invest in a temperature gun. They are inexpensive and the best way to get accurate floor temps. The cool side can be in the 70s. Heat pad 90. This can be achieved without overhead lights.

Visit our friends