Help with leopard gecko housing.

NicoAnony

Ive had a leopard gecko for about 6 years now and I just got a new one to keep her company (dumb mistake I know). They're both females and one of them is a baby I'm guessing a few months old. Idk what happened at the pet store but she doesn't have a tail at the moment. I tried housing them together but the older one (his name is Leo) isn't really comfortable with it and is kind of keeping the little baby in the corner and not really letting her walk around. I'm pretty worried about her and I've been watching them both for atleast an hour now what should I do???

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
You should definitely separate them for the following reasons:
--new geckos need to be quarantined from current pets for at least a month to make sure no one is sick
--baby geckos (not to mention baby geckos without a tail) should not be kept with adults; they may end up being dinner
--leopard geckos are not social animals and although they can sometimes be kept in groups (I do that successfully), they don't need it and it doesn't always work out.

My recommendation is to get a different enclosure for the new one (you can get a large Faunarium which is inexpensive plastic and will do for now, or a 10 gallon tank for now; remember you'll need a thermometer and a thermostat as well) and keep it separate until it grows up. Then you can try putting them together.

Aliza

Visit our friends