Help with moist hide

revek

So my leo is shedding for the first time (since ive had him) and I’m not sure if I can keep his humid hide humid enough for him. It’s a black plastic container with one small opening, so I’d have to actually pick it up while he’s in it to keep it damp with a spray bottle. Thing is, I dont want to stress him out while doing so.

So I’m wondering if I should keep the ceramic heat emitter off while he’s shedding so his humid hide doesn’t dry out. My room is pretty warm already because where I live it’s hot and there are two other reptiles in here that use lamps. Without his heat emitter his tank temp stays around maybe 83-88° F, (on the warm side) is that okay, just while he’s shedding? He also has a UTH (with a thermostat, of course)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
They can often shed without extra humidity. That said, I recommend getting rid of the heat emitter. I think it dries out the enclosure too much, especially if you also have a UTH. If the air is 83-88 I think that's pretty hot!

Aliza

revek

They can often shed without extra humidity. That said, I recommend getting rid of the heat emitter. I think it dries out the enclosure too much, especially if you also have a UTH. If the air is 83-88 I think that's pretty hot!

Aliza
Ohh ok, ty. haha, i was really worried ^^”
I will get rid of the emitter then, thanks again!

revek

Aliza
Another question- how should I keep the air temp warm now that my emitter is off? The temperature an hour ago was 79 F, which I’m worried about. Now it’s 81 F. It’s pretty cold in the mornings here, especially now that fall is here. Later it should heat up to the right temp though.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
In my opinion, that's what the warm side hide is for. Hot air from the UTH will get trapped in the warm hide and if the gecko is too cold in the open, it will be fine in the warm hide. As long as the indoor temperature is tolerable for a human, it should be fine for a gecko. I don't think that the mountains of Afghanistan/Pakistan/Turkey are that warm in the winter!

Aliza

revek

In my opinion, that's what the warm side hide is for. Hot air from the UTH will get trapped in the warm hide and if the gecko is too cold in the open, it will be fine in the warm hide. As long as the indoor temperature is tolerable for a human, it should be fine for a gecko. I don't think that the mountains of Afghanistan/Pakistan/Turkey are that warm in the winter!

Aliza
Ah ok, thanks! He finished shedding yesterday :) he’s doing really well

Visit our friends