Help with stuck belly shed

The Leucistic Gecko

Hi everyone, I'm new and I have had a leopard gecko for many years almost 7 now and I am no expert at all. My gecko had some stuck shed around the belly and tail area and I tried to use a q tip and water and got some off but I had to gently peel some off he seemed like he did not like it but I thought it was better to get it off then just leave it. I am trying to keep humidity up so next time he will shed correctly. Did I do the right thing on this because now if I touch him he tries to run away. Please excuse me sort of not knowing a whole lot. How should I go about getting the rest if the shed off of the belly because there is still some left. Also I use a mason jar as a humidity hide and the moss inside it tends to dry out pretty quick so I moved the light. Should I put tape over it to provide cover? Thanks.

here's my gecko

Attachments

• 66691C45-991B-42C5-917A-4AE790A7484C.jpeg
    66691C45-991B-42C5-917A-4AE790A7484C.jpeg
    393.3 KB · Views: 5

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The best humid hide I've made is from a Gladware sandwich container with a square hole cut into the top and moist coco fiber inside. Even if you give him a humid hide, there's no guarantee that he'll go in there or that he'll shed perfectly if he does. A q-tip rarely does as good a job as your fingernails. The best chance of success is for you to scoop him up from the bottom, hold him gently against your abdomen, put your shirt tail over his head (so he thinks he's hiding) and use your fingernails to pull off the shed.

Aliza

Heloguy

Hi everyone, I'm new and I have had a leopard gecko for many years almost 7 now and I am no expert at all. My gecko had some stuck shed around the belly and tail area and I tried to use a q tip and water and got some off but I had to gently peel some off he seemed like he did not like it but I thought it was better to get it off then just leave it. I am trying to keep humidity up so next time he will shed correctly. Did I do the right thing on this because now if I touch him he tries to run away. Please excuse me sort of not knowing a whole lot. How should I go about getting the rest if the shed off of the belly because there is still some left. Also I use a mason jar as a humidity hide and the moss inside it tends to dry out pretty quick so I moved the light. Should I put tape over it to provide cover? Thanks.

here's my gecko

Heloguy

When I notice the skin color change (my gecko is bright orange and turns grayish) that happens a day or two before she gecko sheds, I put her in the sink and let her soak in warm water for about ten minutes or so and return her to her cage. The shed goes remarkably fast with just a few remnants of skin which are easily and comfortably removed.

The Leucistic Gecko

so I did put him in one and used a wet q tip to help push it back but some was stuck on his belly so I tried to push it and then pull it a little and I think it may have hurt him. He is shedding again and I just looked at him and he ran very fast and went to hide. How can I get him to trust me again? I feel awful for accidentally hurting him.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I can't imagine that pulling off stuck belly shed hurt it, unless it wasn't ready to come off. I'm guessing it's just going through a period of not being receptive to being held. I don't think one instance where the gecko may have been unhappy about something has affected it long term.

Aliza

Visit our friends