Help with wet hide

atan4

Hi, I'm new here and couldn't find any answers through Google. My gecko has an Exo Terra gecko cave and when I went to put paper towels in it today the bottom was specked with many white dots. I haven't seen them before and they weren't textured, just within the plastic. I was wondering if anyone knew what they were/had a similar experience? Thanks! :)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Are these white dots moving? Any chance you can get a picture? If you're feeding your gecko crickets, it may be baby crickets who are attracted to the moisture. If it's warm and humid it could possibly be grain mites but my bet is crickets (unless you're not feeding crickets to it). What's your substrate outside of the humid hide?

Aliza

atan4

Are these white dots moving? Any chance you can get a picture? If you're feeding your gecko crickets, it may be baby crickets who are attracted to the moisture. If it's warm and humid it could possibly be grain mites but my bet is crickets (unless you're not feeding crickets to it). What's your substrate outside of the humid hide?

Aliza
Thanks Aliza! He's in his hide right now, but I will definitely be able to send a picture later tonight when he comes out. The dots aren't moving and he has a slab of tile as substrate. Just wanted to let you know!

Last edited:

atan4

Thanks Aliza! He's in his hide right now, but I will definitely be able to send a picture later tonight when he comes out. The dots aren't moving and he has a slab of tile as substrate. Just wanted to let you know!

Attachments

• IMG_5475.jpg
    IMG_5475.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 11

atan4

Here is a picture, those are the white dots compared to just the regular yellow-ish color.

Bliss13

I don't think that is any living organism. Looks like just part of the plastic residue from the hide. Mine does that too.

atan4

I don't think that is any living organism. Looks like just part of the plastic residue from the hide. Mine does that too.
Ok, thanks so much for responding! I was just a bit worried since I hadn't seen it before.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If they're not moving, I agree they're not alive. If you keep calcium in the enclosure, it may have been tracked in there, or else it's the plastic residue.

Aliza

Visit our friends