He's acting weird...

Lala

Hi people:D

My fat tail is acting all weird a bit of yesterday and today. He normally ate about 2-3 crickets a day (large ones as he is about 3-4 years), but the guy in the shop, who I really trust as he knows his stuff, says he should be eating 4-6 a day. He was eating this amount when he lived there before we bought him. He has a hide with moss over the top which also falls down the back and there was a large log in the vivarium too which came as a package from the shop. They built these themselves and are a really good job. I often found that 3 or more of the crickets were hiding under the log so I took it out to give him more room as it took up quite a bit of the viv. After I took it out he seemed ok at first, then yesterday evening and all of today so far (18.35 here) he has just stayed in his hide, which would be in the cool side of the tank. Is he going to not eat for a few days like when he is put in a new home (I mean after I have moved the log and thus it might appear all new to him) or should I be worried? I was going to put pics up to assist with this query but in order to do this I would have to put the log thing back in and don't want to upset him further, if that's what is happening :main_huh:

Also, if you look down his back at a tight angle he has a sort of silver/grey colour to him. I was thinking is he maybe going to shed too as I think this would stop him eating for a day or so too?

Thanks for any help:D

Lala

It's around 90 during the day and falls to 70-74 at night although we also have a heat mat underneath at one side to keep that temp. up and the expert in the shop maintains this is plenty. He lived in their shop for many months at these temperatures before we bought him, he has a very fat tail and appears generally to be in great health. I have doubts as to whether or not the temp. is causing this as he has been fine until I moved the log. However, I have read that they need space and they can get stressed if there are too many things for them to bump into so thats why I removed it.

5HiddenLizards

Tight Budget Herping
Some lizards get very attached to the objects in their tank & can stress out if they are removed. If the crickets are hiding behind the log, try putting them in a glass dish or something similar so that they disperse slower & give your fatty a chance to get them all. Both of my leos freak out if i remove any piece of their furniture, even if its to clean it or something. They pace until I put it back in. maybe you should just leave the log in. It can provide him something to climb on as well.

Visit our friends