Hi everyone, nice to finaly join the community. Here are some photos.

Leopold

Hello,
I found out about this forum just a few days ago from Bryan form Snakebites :D . I looked arround a bit and I finaly decided to join. I have allways been pasionate about animals and reptiles in particular and a few months ago I got my first leopard gecko that I like to call Leopold. He's realy cool and sometimes he even hangs arround watching games online with me. Any way since I got him I'm completly crazy about geckos. That is also how I found out about Snakebites TV and the gecko forums. I made the terrarium myselph using hand polished marble pieces in the lower front side. The pieces are slyghtly spaced as to allow air flow. Because he is a very clean animal I also added a little art on the interior like the hand-crafted wooden mushrooms, a labradorite gemstone and other small details while trying at the same time to keep it natural. I'll atach some photos. I know it si a bit crazy but I think it looks ok. I would also like to know what you guys think about it. Here are some images.

IMG_1505.jpg IMG_1757.jpg IMG_1946.jpg IMG_1975.jpg IMG_1976.jpg

I only have one gecko so far, a male, but I am planning to get one or two more females and kind of see where it goes from there. The reason why I insisted a bit on the terrarium is that I think people tend not to focus to much on the the estetic aspects of the terrarium. Of course the main priority is the wellbeing of the gecko, but once those functions are assured there is a lot that can be done in terms of shapes and colores of the interior and of the background that will highlight even more the color and pattern of the geko living inside. After all some people put a lot of time and effort in breeding and producing some amazing paint jobs and I think that with the right cusom-designed terrarium you can create astonishing "micro-worlds". Of course my terrariun should not in any way be taken as an example but designing a terrarium is defiantly something I would like to know more about and maby even get involved in. So what do you think? Can a cusom-designed terrarium make your pet and your room look even better?

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome to GF and congratulations on your first gecko. I also think designing pretty vivs contributes to the esthetics and makes for lovely displays. I do ceramics and often put my pieces in the vivs. One suggestion I do have about your terrarium is to get rid of those wood chips. Most of them are too big to ingest, but some aren't. I once took care of a leopard gecko that had dropped her tail because she ingested a wood chip and I think there was so much pain as she passed it that she dropped the tail. Ceramic or slate tile can look good in a viv. Another reason for getting rid of the chips is that feeders easily hide and die in them (and then stink).

Aliza

Leopold

Thank you Aliza, I am not crazy about the wood chips either. I changed the bedding to wood chips after I noticet he was eating to much sand. I usually feed him meal worms by hand or in his dish to avoid losing them in the chips. But you're right I will change the chips to something safer. Slate is a good idea.
Dan

indyana

Pretty awesome setup. I agree with the danger of small wood chips though. The substrate debate will likely never be resolved, but you have to be careful with your selections. Non-particulates like slate, tile, paper, and carpet are the safest and easiest to maintain. Keepers who want to use sand pretty much only do that for adults and feed by hand or from a dish. Larger substrate, too large to swallow, can be used, but it's a lot more work to clean.

Do you have a UTH on your setup? Just wondering how you keep the ground surface heat up to the proper level.

Leopold

For heating I have an Exo Terra subtrate heater stuk on the exterior bottom of the tank. The same model like in the image below. The down side is that you can't set a temperature, but I set up the hid-out so that only half is directly on top of the heater that way the geko can just move to a cooler corner if it gets too hot.
lg-73529-55264-reptile.jpg

indyana

Cool, you could probably plug that into an external thermostat with a temperature probe and dial just like any other heating pad.

That looks really interesting for your gecko. I'm a big fan of giving them different textures and climbing opportunities.

Welcome to the forum, and I hope to see you around posting more!

Leopold

Thanks, I like this site so I think I'll be around. The down side is that I happen to live in the south of France and I see a lot of interesting ads on this site that might not be available for where I live. The idea of ordering geckos on the net and have them delivered from the US seems crazy to me. On the other side there isn't a big gecko community here where I live, or at least I haven't seen it. I am rather new to this field.

Visit our friends