Hi! Just looking for some advice.

Dinobot113

Hi! I’m new here. Just recently got a Leopard Gecko. And I’ve pretty much got almost everything under control. Except what bulbs to use. He is in a 10 gallon enclosure. I’m working on getting a bigger one. And I have a Thrive dual dome lamp. As of right now. The bulbs that I’m using are this one:

And this one.

I just settled with these because I’m not sure what else to do. Internet is confusing. The night bulb is barely bright enough to hurt its eyes. And it provides heat like I wanted. And the day bulb seems like a good option because it gives a bit of both of what I’m looking for. Essentially. I just want to know if this is good?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Welcome! Do you have an under tank heater as well? If so, I sometimes worry about using a heat lamp in addition because it can dry out the air too much. If your gecko is in a room with ambient light, where it's possible to tell day from night, you really don't need a light at all since they are nocturnal and just need to know when it's day and when it's night. Since that's the case, if you do want to use a light, ias long as the light isn't heating or drying the air too much or isn't so bright that the gecko is uncomfortable, in my opinion, anything is as good as anything else.

Aliza

Dinobot113

Thank you for responding. :) I do not have an under tank heater. I want the gecko to be able to escape the heat. Lol. But yeah. If that is the case then I think I found his sweet spot. The night light is so dim. That I can just barely see inside. Both bulbs don’t go passed 50 watts. And they stay under 90 degrees. I was thinking of using a 50 watt ceramic light though. But I heard that ceramic can run the risk of drying the air. And has other issues with infrared. This is his enclosure yesterday and today. Today was cleaning day. I’m also just about to get that power strip with the built in timer set up.

Attachments

• 849B96C5-648B-45BD-8A23-8350211A2ADB.jpeg
    849B96C5-648B-45BD-8A23-8350211A2ADB.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 1B40FC5C-E135-48B7-AB07-C12D6D9BFC5F.jpeg
    1B40FC5C-E135-48B7-AB07-C12D6D9BFC5F.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
When you get the bigger enclosure (20 gallon long or larger), consider a heat mat at one end. That way the gecko can have heat 24/7 on one side of the cage, and the cage is big enough so the gecko can go to the cool side to escape the heat.

Aliza

Dinobot113

When you get the bigger enclosure (20 gallon long or larger), consider a heat mat at one end. That way the gecko can have heat 24/7 on one side of the cage, and the cage is big enough so the gecko can go to the cool side to escape the heat.

Aliza
Yeah. Definitely. I’m trying to save up. And rearrange my room for a bigger terrarium.

Visit our friends