Hi!

CallyGecko

Hello! I am a first-time gecko owner, and I have a leopard gecko I named Calypso. I got her from an expo last month. Her previous owners claimed she was three years old and had been bred in the past.

Since I'm new to this, I have two questions regarding her. First, looking at the pics below, does she (especially her tail) look too thin to anyone? The first pic was when I first got her and the second pic was taken a few hours ago. She initially weighed 58 grams but now she weighs 62 grams. I've been feeding her gutloaded mealworms and crickets dusted with calcium and vitamins. She's fairly active and she eats really well.
Second, does she look gravid? I think her lower abdomen has gotten wider in the past week or so. The third pic shows her belly. It might be hard to see, but those white patches look like eggs to me. Plus her sides have more of a pinkish/orangeish hue to them than usual, like there's something under the skin. I just can't say for sure if she really has eggs or if something else is going on.
IMG_2753[1].JPG IMG_3461[1].JPG
IMG_3355[1].JPG
Anyway, I'm glad I joined this site and I'm excited to learn more about geckos. I'm also curious to see other people's opinions on Calypso's weight and health. Thanks!

AndyBunn

Hello Callygecko snd Calypso.

This is a great forum indeed. I don't know much about female geckos but she does look nice and healthy to me.

Females will lay unfertilised eggs. So maybe that's why she's looking abit wide. They lay 2 eggs.

How often do you feed her? I ask this because if Calypso is making eggs it's a big draw on her fat and calcium resources.

Calypso is a lovely looking Gecko.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Andy

Yvonne G

Administrator
Staff member
Hello! I am a first-time gecko owner, and I have a leopard gecko I named Calypso. I got her from an expo last month. Her previous owners claimed she was three years old and had been bred in the past.

Since I'm new to this, I have two questions regarding her. First, looking at the pics below, does she (especially her tail) look too thin to anyone? The first pic was when I first got her and the second pic was taken a few hours ago. She initially weighed 58 grams but now she weighs 62 grams. I've been feeding her gutloaded mealworms and crickets dusted with calcium and vitamins. She's fairly active and she eats really well.
Second, does she look gravid? I think her lower abdomen has gotten wider in the past week or so. The third pic shows her belly. It might be hard to see, but those white patches look like eggs to me. Plus her sides have more of a pinkish/orangeish hue to them than usual, like there's something under the skin. I just can't say for sure if she really has eggs or if something else is going on.
View attachment 79438 View attachment 79439
View attachment 79440
Anyway, I'm glad I joined this site and I'm excited to learn more about geckos. I'm also curious to see other people's opinions on Calypso's weight and health. Thanks!
Well, we're glad you joined too! Hi, and welcome!!

CallyGecko

Hello Callygecko snd Calypso.

This is a great forum indeed. I don't know much about female geckos but she does look nice and healthy to me.

Females will lay unfertilised eggs. So maybe that's why she's looking abit wide. They lay 2 eggs.

How often do you feed her? I ask this because if Calypso is making eggs it's a big draw on her fat and calcium resources.

Calypso is a lovely looking Gecko.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Andy
Thank you for your reply! I've been feeding her once every three days. She usually gets 7 or 8 mealworms and a few crickets each time.

CallyGecko

AndyBunn

Hi these are some of the insects that I have used.

Small and medium black and brown crickets
Small dubia roaches
Occasionally wax worms
Small and medium sized locusts

I try to mix things up abit as my Gecko does get board of the same stuff.

Also only feed wax worms as an occasional treat. They are gecko candy.

Have fun

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
There's a good chance she's gravid based on what I can see of the picture. Make sure she has a place to dig and bury her eggs. You can make a lay box out of a plastic sandwich container by making a square hole on the top and filling it with moist coco fiber. She looks well proportioned to me and her weight is fine.

Aliza

Visit our friends