Holding: Part 2, Lol.

Vroomie

Hey all! I have a leopard gecko, and I am having some trouble trying to start holding him. I previously got a response on my last Holding message, (which was very useful, but unfortunately it didn't work for my gecko ;-;) And that was to try to scoop him up from behind, but like I said, that didn't work. Does anyone have any more advise?

LoveReps

You could try hand feeding your gecko to get them used to you being in the enclosure. You could also put one hand open on the floor of the cage in front of your gecko and gently touch him on the tail so that it will encourage him into the palm of your hand. From there you can gently lift him out.

Just remember that some geckos can tolerate handling more than others, so if your gecko seems stressed upon handling, try to keep it to a minimum. I hope this handling technique works out for you!

Vroomie

Okay, I'll give that a try, but I watched a YouTube video and the guy who was hosting said to never touch a baby leopard gecko's tail or else they will drop it immediately, are you sure that is okay?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have never had a gecko drop its tail from it just being touched. I have found leopard geckos in general to be less apt to drop tails than crested geckos. That's not a 100% guarantee, but I'd be very surprised if the tail dropped just because you touched it.

Aliza

LoveReps

Yes they shouldn't drop their tails from only being touched. Leopard geckos usually drop their tails as a last resort. Good luck!

AndyBunn

Hi Vroomie
There's a couple of YouTube videos that you can use

And also some great info at

You should try handling your Gecko in the evening as they are more responsive.

Hope this helps you.

Visit our friends