Horizontal or vertical

Anejodave

In a custom tank for 2-3 female Leos is there a preference for a vertical or horizontal tank? Vertical gives me the option for switchbacks and a cliff face full of hides as well as a waterfall into a small pool. Horizontal gives me the option for more open spaces for variety of hides and ease of getting the temperature gradient right.

I'm leaning towards the vertical orientation for no other reason that I think it would be more asthetically pleasing for myself so long as I provide the Leos the necessary environment. Either tank would be roughly 40 gallons. The environment would take up roughly 1/4 of the volume.

Are there any disadvantages that are significant enough to warrant not going vertical?

MichaelJ

CelebrityGeckos.Com
I would suggest horizontal. Leos need more ground space than anything... they are not avid climbers. This will allow you to have enough terrestrial ground to provide a warm and a cool side, with hides on both sides. A horizontal tank position will give you more functionality.

Olimpia

La Española
Yea, I've tried the horizontal tank idea for one of mine (just because I had a 30 gal tall tank left over) and he never climbed the rock wall. He only climbed it to poop. So it's better to give them more floor space

robin

Yea, I've tried the horizontal tank idea for one of mine (just because I had a 30 gal tall tank left over) and he never climbed the rock wall. He only climbed it to poop. So it's better to give them more floor space

that way they can have a poop corner instead of a poop wall LOL

Olimpia

La Española
that way they can have a poop corner instead of a poop wall LOL

Haha exactly. It's better that way, except I had to learn it the hard way. I spent hours and hours (plus money) making a rock wall that he only used as his bathroom.

They like to climb but only a little, so it's better to provide a nice horizontal tank with hides and maybe some things to climb instead of outting in the effort and having them hate it.

Visit our friends