Horned Toad Lizard?

C

Cryptly

The petstore has two "Horned Toad Lizards", and I thought they were the neatest looking things, like pancakes with horns and a tail. So ugly they're cute. I'm trying to figure out what they could be, and some care info. The pet store owners weren't in, and the kid working there didn't know too much about them, other than they were new arrivals. :main_rolleyes:

I didn't bring them home, but I might if I can get some info on them. Any input would be appreciated. :)

S

Saladragon

Try here

This website has TONS of information on horned lizards...feeding them and determining what type they are. www.phrysonoma.com

There are pictures of most of them, together with really good care information.

C

Cryptly

Nevermind the above post. I found it. http://www.phrynosoma.org

Fascinating critters, that's for sure! :main_yes:

Not sure if I'm up to their husbrandry tho (ants!!! They need ants!). . .have to see if the pet store will let me take a pic of the ones they have so I can identify the species and read up more on them (The P. asio looks like what I saw, but I could be remembering wrong).

Very neat critters. :)

S

Saladragon

They really are cool little guys. We had a Regal Horned Lizard (I can't remember it's scientific name) that was just darling. But you do have to supply TONS of ants. There is a place online where you can order ants, though...if you decide this is something you want to do.

C

Cryptly

My main concern with ants are my tarantulas. Tarantulas and ants don't mix. I'd have to be extra careful to make sure the ants don't escape and get into my tarantula enclosures.

How did you store your ants and prevent escape?

S

Saladragon

Yeah, I had the same thing with the ants and beardies. We just had the horned lizard in a different room than the beardies, and never encountered a problem.

The ants come in a little deli cup, and you can store them in the fridge. They kindof do like mealworms, and hibernate...except the ants actually look dead. Then when it's feeding time, you spoon them into the horned's enclosure still cold and they warm up and start moving around. I can tell you from experience that these ants are really mean. They bite really hard. You do have to be very careful that you don't put too many in the enclosure because they will bite the horned lizard and like a tick, the only part you can pull off is the body...the mouth keeps biting, and the head stays attached. YUCK!!! The good thing is that they can't climb glass. Oh...and if you order ants, don't order too many at a time as they don't live very long.

C

Cryptly

I decided I'm going to hold off on purchasing one of these neat critters. I'm going to read up on them more, and come up with a good way to store the ants. Plus the pet store owner wasn't sure if the P. aiso were WC or CBB, he thought CBB, but I'd rather be certain before purchasing.

Visit our friends