Housing for gargoyle breeding groups

notacoshells

Should I house the males separately from the females because I was browsing around ACreptiles and read that the females bit the males tails off and eat them. Will this stress out the male? If so should put him in a different cage and introduce him to the females during the breeding season?
Thanks

Reborn

I have not bred gargs yet. Ive been told/highly recommened to house each seperate-females too- coz unlike there cousins the cresties these guys hate eachothers company and are very hostil to eachother. Im not a breeder yet but i have seen "groups" and solos. The grouped ones look...poor compared to the solo ones. Ofcourse there are some that are sweet on eachother and are fine but mine dont like one another.

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
I only have one pair together right now, but I don't separate them and have never seen the aggression everyone talks about. That doesn't mean that yours would be fine together all the time though.

If you decide to keep them together, just pay attention to your animals and if you see problems, separate them.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
I do both with my gargs. I have a girl who doesn't like roomates and she lives alone, she was visited by a male for a couple weeks and she didn't maul him but she wasn't thrilled about it either. She produced several good clutches for me. I also keep a pair together 24/7 and they do fine, the female never bothers the male at all and vice versa. With gargs, as with all reptiles, judging the animal's individual temperments is the important part and as kev mentions observation is key. I would not recommend groups; females seem to have more aggression between each other than towards males in my experience. Pairs in large enough housing(20H size tank or larger) and plenty of visual barriers can do well, and as always keeping individually is the safest.

Visit our friends