How far can a Leopard Gecko Fall?

helfrichj

Hello Everyone,

I had a bit of a scary thing happen this weekend. I had my leo out on my big main table while I had some friends over. He was just hanging out like he normally does and then I think something spooked him to where he ran away fast and then fell of table onto his back. If I had to guess it is about a 3 and a half foot table which is a hefty drop for a leopard gecko! He appeared to be fine and a little bit after I tried feeding him and he ate ravishingly like he normally does. My question is how far can these guys take a fall? I am still slightly worried it might have given him some internal damage, but I have fed him since then multiple times with no issues and he seems to be acting normal. If anyone knows how far they can drop, please try explaining the physics because in proportion to the distance he fell he should not have been so well off.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I cannot give you a physics answer, but I can tell you that some of my enclosures are 5' off the ground and I've had leopard geckos escape and be recovered with on damage. Of course, I can't tell you for sure that they fell the entire 5', but it is possible. I'm sure I've also had leopard geckos jump out of my hand. I'm not a biologist either, but I suspect that the reason for the lack of damage is more due to physiology than physics. If humans fall, even if they fall on their backs, they are less likely to be damaged if they are relaxed as opposed to having their bodies tense up. Think of the difference in result if a beanbag falls 4' as opposed to a drinking glass falling 4'. I practiced aikido for nearly 30 years and when I fall, I relax and roll, so I rarely hurt myself falling. You'll have to take my "science" with a grain of salt, but it's a good start for investigating.

Aliza

Visit our friends