How handleable are Crested Geckos?

Vector

I've been heavily thinking about getting into Cresteds for a few years and I think I'm ready to dive in. I'm not sure if I plan on ever breeding but I can say I'd definitely like to own a few as pets. With that said, how handleable are crested geckos? I've been hearing mixed things. I know handleability comes to down to each individual gecko but overall, is handling these guys a lot an issue?

I was originally going to get a Tegu for that but as of right now, I cannot invest into taming one due to my work schedule.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It depends on the crestie, and if you get an adult, it depends on what it's been used to. I have 4 cresties, 3 of which I've had since they were juveniles. They all started out pretty squirmy, and, since they jump, they can be hard to contain. The 3 that I got as juvies have all calmed down and allow themselves to be help once I get them out of the cage. They do like to move, so they won't just sit there on your hand. The one I got as a yearling grew up in a large collection in a tub and now he's in a glass enclosure. He's very hard to get out of the cage and once I get him out, he's a bit wild.

Aliza

Visit our friends