How to keep moist hide moist?

Shelilla

Hello, I have two Leopard Geckos and I have been noticing that normally the moist hide I have set up for them only stays moist for a few days at most. I was hoping by posting this I could get some suggestions for a better way of doing this.
Please take note that it is very, very dry here. The humidity today was 36% (which is often dryer).
What I have set up is a plastic container with a hole in the front of it, a lid on top, and paper towels as a substrate. I really don't have the time to spray it two times a day, or I'd definitely forget.

Would using a different sort of hide be better? Should I use moss as a substrate instead? Would putting a mister in it help? (I've heard these can cause respiratory problems, but would it be okay if turned down, or is it possible to put a water drip in there or is it not necessary?)

indyana

The smaller the hide opening, the better the moisture will stay in. Also, using a denser/deeper substrate like Eco Earth (coco fiber) will retain the moisture longer. Paper towels don't hold much moisture to begin with. That being said, I still need to spray my hides 2-3x per week, especially if they are above the heater.

DaStos208

A smaller opening and a more moisture retaining substrate should solve the problem. I use peat moss, and it works fairly well. I still have to spray it once a night, but once you develop a routine, this isn't difficult. Just stick the nozzle of a spray bottle into the "door" of the hide and give it a few good squirts. be sure to spray the walls and ceiling too, not just the moss, this will help retain moisture longer, and my gecko prefers licking the water droplets off the wall over drinking out of the water bowl. Hope this helps!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Neon Aurora

I think it's worth mentioning that I have seen impactions occur due to moss in the humid hide. That's why I've always preferred eco-earth

DaStos208

I think it's worth mentioning that I have seen impactions occur due to moss in the humid hide. That's why I've always preferred eco-earth
Thanks for the info! My leo hasn't been pooping and isn't as enthusiastic about eating as normal, i ruled out impaction because i thought there would be nothing to cause it (i use repti carpet), ill take a closer look at her belly and give her warm baths now. If she poops moss i guess ill change to eco earth. thanks so much for the warning!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Visit our friends