How to piss a veterinary technician off...

JordanAng420

Tell her that the estimate for treatment is too much money, and that you will euthanise the dog yourself.

Then please go out into the parking lot of the animal hospital and shoot your dog with the shotgun you keep in your truck...

Oh please, PLEASE come back to my clinic with another animal...PLEASE :hanged:

Pinky81

:stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned::stunned:

:inquisitive::rifle: AN EYE FOR AN EYE I SAY!!!

JordanAng420

o_O I'm terribly sorry. If only the dog had thumbs... The outcome would've been different. But really... I'm sorry that's sick

If the dog would have had thumbs, i'm sure one of them would be promptly directed up the owner's rear end...

At first I thought this was some sort of sick joke, then I realized you are a vet ><

I am a veterinary nurse...I see and am told a lot more than any doctor or veterinarian would ever dream of...

That's disgusting. Can't you call the police or someone?? That's gotta be against the law!

The only thing we can do is make a report. Which we did. We have no cameras in our parking lot. All we have proof of is the client making an appointment and leaving. We documented everything that was said in the medical record. Anything that happened after that can not hold up in a court of law without physical evidence. We can accuse and report all we want, but I guarantee you that if that client has the slightest idea we might be after him he is halfway to Mexico right now.

Dear God, what a crime.

Marcia...11 years....I thought I had seen everything. I certainly, CERTAINLY have not.

:stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned: :stunned::stunned:

:inquisitive::rifle: AN EYE FOR AN EYE I SAY!!!

If only I could tell my clients how I feel.

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
Thats terrible. We have people do all sorts of things similar to that at our clinic as well. Last week we had someone bring in a New Zealand Lop that was attacked by a cat. The situation wasn't too bad and the Dr. had a good prognosis for it but the breaking point was $50 buck in meds. The owner took the rabbit and broke its neck then asked if we could take care of the body "so my trashcan wont smell". The things people do to and dont do for their animals amazes me. Sorry to hear about your situation.

Sunrise Reptile

SunriseReptile.com
Did you ever get the feeling some people need to let their words tumble around the inside of their gourd a bit longer before they let them flow out of their mouth? Too bad there wasn't a law enforcement official in the lobby at the same time! :main_rolleyes:

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
I'm kind of working an idea out, so this may be a bit scattered and meandering.

My first response was a visceral aversion to the idea, an immediate disgust at this guy.

It's certainly not something I'd ever do to my dog, barring some kind of injured in the wilderness, suffering and hours away from a vet. I love my dog. It would take extreme circumstances to prompt me to take his life directly. Should he ever need to be euthanized (he won't, he's immortal... shut up), it'd be a decision I could be comfortable with, but an act I would not be.

But... I think about most things by testing them, by weighing them and calculating them, by checking them against counterarguments. And that counteragument ends up being... if the gun was loaded with the correct kind of ammunition, aimed with a steady hand and hit the animal in the right place, it would be a very quick death. From the perspective of the animal, potentially about as quick as any death can be, measured in the kind of time it takes for nerves to send information to the brain. Measuring pain is always tricky, but pain over time matters when trying to calculate suffering... a properly aimed shotgun blast would be efficient and fast... though not very clean and far from painless (it would be painful very briefly though). That's most the things I look for as a method of ending an animals life, when that ending is deemed to be appropriate.

It's probably illegal. Even if shooting a dog isn't illegal by itself (it probably is, without provocation), discharging a shotgun in the parking lot of a Veterinary Clinic has got to be a violation of firearm laws. So it shouldn't have been done. It's graphic and it's probably at least two kinds of illegal and it's shortsighted and it's callous... but I'm not sure it's ethically wrong. I'm not saying it is ethically right either, just that I am left uncertain and a little bit confused, as I sort through the idea from different perspectives. I break the necks of rats, painful but fast... necessary culls of wild populations of animals are usually done with a rifle for anything big enough to warrant it... I'm not about to stop eating meat and the bolt guns used to slaughter cows and pigs work on a similar principle (massive, immediate trauma to the brain)... it's tricky.

Tico

This sad to hear that someone would even do this....as pet owners we are to take care of them ,,,VET ,Food, Water ,Playtime and what not .. I say if you cant afford to take care of your pet and you should not Have one .... and some of us might not have much money but i am sure if they needed a vet we would give up something for our Pets in a heartbeat ... HOW IN THE WORLD CAN A PERSON DO THIS TO THERE OWN PET! I have been there to put Down some of my pets ( at the vet's office ) and could not handle that well ....:(

JordanAng420

I'm kind of working an idea out, so this may be a bit scattered and meandering.

My first response was a visceral aversion to the idea, an immediate disgust at this guy.

It's certainly not something I'd ever do to my dog, barring some kind of injured in the wilderness, suffering and hours away from a vet. I love my dog. It would take extreme circumstances to prompt me to take his life directly. Should he ever need to be euthanized (he won't, he's immortal... shut up), it'd be a decision I could be comfortable with, but an act I would not be.

But... I think about most things by testing them, by weighing them and calculating them, by checking them against counterarguments. And that counteragument ends up being... if the gun was loaded with the correct kind of ammunition, aimed with a steady hand and hit the animal in the right place, it would be a very quick death. From the perspective of the animal, potentially about as quick as any death can be, measured in the kind of time it takes for nerves to send information to the brain. Measuring pain is always tricky, but pain over time matters when trying to calculate suffering... a properly aimed shotgun blast would be efficient and fast... though not very clean and far from painless (it would be painful very briefly though). That's most the things I look for as a method of ending an animals life, when that ending is deemed to be appropriate.

It's probably illegal. Even if shooting a dog isn't illegal by itself (it probably is, without provocation), discharging a shotgun in the parking lot of a Veterinary Clinic has got to be a violation of firearm laws. So it shouldn't have been done. It's graphic and it's probably at least two kinds of illegal and it's shortsighted and it's callous... but I'm not sure it's ethically wrong. I'm not saying it is ethically right either, just that I am left uncertain and a little bit confused, as I sort through the idea from different perspectives. I break the necks of rats, painful but fast... necessary culls of wild populations of animals are usually done with a rifle for anything big enough to warrant it... I'm not about to stop eating meat and the bolt guns used to slaughter cows and pigs work on a similar principle (massive, immediate trauma to the brain)... it's tricky.

I see where you're coming from...and I respect you to the fullest so I can understand your point much more than I would the average pet owner (goodness, I wish you were one of my clients! :))...If an animal is suffering, and veterinary care is not possible, I can see where one might be forced to end their friend's suffering if need be.

However...

This dog came in after ingesting about a half of a tennis ball (who knows, we never could prove it)...The estimate for surgery and hospitalization was somewhere around $900...THREE days of 24 hour care, surgery, IV medications, xrays and bloodwork...ridiculously cheap, IMO...and so this was the result.

Preventable problem, and absolutely treatable, with MANY options offered to the owner for payment (INCLUDING payment plans...which is unheard of in veterinary clinics)

Now that i've had some time to think about it...i'm going to have to make an appearance in court if this POS ever gets nailed for this...:main_thumbsdown:

Last edited:

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
I see where you're coming from...and I respect you to the fullest so I can understand your point much more than I would the average pet owner (goodness, I wish you were one of my clients! :))...If an animal is suffering, and veterinary care is not possible, I can see where one might be forced to end their friend's suffering if need be.

Thank you for that. Given the subject and the circumstances I genuinely appreciate that willingness to at least respect that I ended up intellectualizing a different position.

Just for clarification's sake though, in case it was at all unclear to anyone, I feel what the man did was wrong. I was just having some difficulty articulating why I felt it was wrong. It's a response very similar to the one I have when I see someone destroy a book, a feeling that they have done something wrong, that is not immediately and easily supported by rational objections. It's the difference between feeling something is wrong and thinking it. Feelings can short-cut logic, as our subconscious processes information and arrives at a conclusion, without the laborious process of consciously working through each step. Or sometimes it can form connections that aren't as solid; maybe I just feel it is wrong because I also feel like I'd end anyone who dared to hurt my dog, I'm not really sure.

Preventable problem, and absolutely treatable, with MANY options offered to the owner for payment (INCLUDING payment plans...which is unheard of in veterinary clinics)

That definitely changes the situation. I admit, I was thinking the dog had something terminal and that euthanasia had been the recommendation of the veterinary staff. The "Why is it wrong?" chain of thoughts was predicated on weighing the method with the assumption that the result was a necessity. Shooting a dog in the parking lot because he didn't want to pay for the straightforward, highly probable to be successful treatment is a whole different scenario.

Get the bastard. Get him on cruelty charges. Get him on firearm violations. Make him face the reality of what he did and make him culpable for the consequences. Legally being prohibited from owning an animal or a firearm ever again seems like a good start.

BGalloway

3 days of vet care and it was only 900!?! Is that including take home meds etc? that is dirt cheap! I thought we were talking several thousand or something...

My knee-jerk reaction: People suck. I'm glad the people at our clinic have never sunk that low, they just slink out with their pet declining meds or after we give them a payment plan never to be seen again. Or bring in their pet when its been suffering way too long and its back end is covered in feces and urine scalded and so many maggots you can't see the skin and he hasn't walked in weeks and their other 2 cats died of flea anemia and...yeah people suck, but people like you who care about the animals and who give a damn about your job make the world a better place, even if all you can do is report the people who are jerks. sorry I'm not being more eloquent or well thought out.

Better composed response: Follow your gut and do what you have to. Take this jerk down if the opportunity presents itself. Also are there any shops near you whose cameras might catch a bit of your parking lot? Any witnesses?

Last edited:

Kat&Rin

Leopard Gecko Girl
My thoughts run the same way as what people here have already said. I too disagree wholly and completely with what this guy did but, until I knew about the problem being preventable, could have tentatively seen where this guy was coming from....that being said I don't have the heart, or perhaps lack of heart?, to ever do this to anything. When the cats bring in mice that still live I chase them away (when the mouse doesn't look badly injured) and help them escape to the field or somewhere safer and wish them luck. To kill a dog? I can't even fathom it unless stranded in the wilderness with the dog having grievous injuries that a quick death at my hand could help end the pain. I really hope you nail the guy and charge him as much as humanly possible. And I'm horribly sorry you had to go through this, one of the reasons I couldn't be a vet, kudos to you. The real pet lovers/owners applaud you.

animeavatar

I <3 Mu Mu!!
That's just cruel! How would they like it if someone did that to them!:furious3::veryangry2: In my world, they would get :rifle:.

Visit our friends