Hulu Supports...

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
For anyone who may not know, Hulu is a website where users can stream television shows and movies. Legally. They are ad-supported but these ads are relatively minimal compared to television stations and there is a lot of selection available for things to watch, whenever someone cares to fire up the site and look at them, rather than needing to wait for a broadcast to start.

I had taken to watching most of my television through the website because it was just so convenient, even if they put some shows up a week after the original air date.

Among the ads are some which are commercial and some which are presented as "Hulu is proud to support the efforts of..." where charitable organizations are able to get free ad time mixed in.

Today, I loaded the web page to kill some time and noticed that they had put up The Professional, which is a great movie. I click to watch it, the video starts with the opening ad and I get the message "Hulu is proud to support the efforts of PETA."

Anyone care to guess which website I am now boycotting?

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
It certainly does.

I'm just hoping enough people will be willing to stop their personal use of the website to actually impact ad impressions. Hit them where it hurts, show them that if they insist on supporting PETA, they'll do it at the cost of all their other happy advertisers. That the public will not tolerate the support of an organization on the FBI watchlist for domestic terrorism.

robin

i can't believe that! seamus you know what i want to say but it will break the TOS but this is ridiculous. do you know who Hulu is owned by?

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
GE, NewsCorp and Disney- or looking at the sub-companies associated, Fox, NBC and ABC, in equal shares at the moment, with the parent companies getting ad revenue specific to the play time of the videos they own the rights to.

JordanAng420

Oh that really sucks. I liked hulu.

Similar thing I found out today: One of the major pet health insurance companies is backed by the HSUS. For some reason, all the pamphlets and information about this particular company magically disappeared from the clinic today. :D

BrilliantEraser

Bookworm!
Maia, thank you for that. HSUS and PETA make me sick. I was taking a lab animals class and they started harassing the teacher and students, threatening our safety should we attend class or lab. It was actually a bit scary for a while, since I do know what ALF is capable of.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
I do know what ALF is capable of.

alf.jpg

Visit our friends