Humid Hide .... Potty?

suz830

Why did she choose her humid hide to poop in?!?!?!!?

I have had her about 1 week... she pooped in her cave the first time now she poops in her humid hide everytime.... I have moss in there so this could start to get expensive... I know I can put a paper towel in there but I like the moss and I have a whole box of it....

Is there anyway I can persuade her to poop somewhere else?

Anyone else's gecko poop in the humid hide... is this common?
I'm new to geckos so I don't know if this is common...

MichaelJ

CelebrityGeckos.Com
Once they decide where they like to poop, they generally revisit the same spot every day to do their business. I would suggest the following:
(1) switch to moist cocoa fiber - it's sold as a dry brick in your local pet store, you add water and it expands... one brick will last you forever. Spray with water every other day to keep humidity up in the moist hide. Change it out every 2 months.
(2) Move the moist hide to another area of the tank, obviously on the "cool" side.

So moving the hide should help throw her off and select another area to poop in... and if she still poops in the moist hide, it will be much less expensive!
Hope that helps!

suz830

I kinda rearranged her cage last night.... If I rearrange it again would it stress her out?

I haven't even had her for 1 week.

Srt14292

Est; 1992
you could try taking the moist hide out for a couple of days, get a sample of her fecal matter, wrap it up in a tissue, and put it in a corner you want her to poop in, when she starts pooping in that corner you can add the humid hide back and your problem should be solved.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
You know I've noticed a lot of my leopards like to poop in sphagnum moss. I switched to coir (Bed-A-Beast) in the boxes and they stopped pooping in the boxes.

SleepyDee

when any of my babies start pooping in the moist hide I not only move it to a different area and leave a small poop parcel in the corner I'd like them to go in but I also thoroughly clean and disinfect the hide to remove all scent from it otherwise they'll still be able to 'scent' where their toilet is ;)

suz830

Does it matter that the corner I want her to poop in is on the warm side of the tank... it's on the opposite site of her food bowl...

I was just thinking maybe she doesn't want to poop on the warm side... does that make any sense

Do most of y'all leave water bowls in their tank? I only have one bowl so I put worms in it...I heard they drink the moisture droplets out of their moist hide.... and don't really drink standing water...

what is the general consensus

suz830

I gave her a water bowl...
I did put her poop in the other corner and she used it... it worked.... I washed her humid hide in the dishwasher so hopefully when I put it back in she wont use it again

SassyAbi

Haha its good to hear she's not using it no more. I hope when my gecko arrives her humid hide does not become her "potty"

ajveachster

We have several that use hides as potties. Paper towels are great. I think I need to buy stock in whatever company manufactures Bounty. We have enough geckos that I gave up trying to figure out how to make them go somewhere else. I've come to the conclusion that many of them go in a hide because it is where they feel the most secure, and who doesn't want to feel safe when they are taking care of their business?

suz830

She goes in a very odd peculiar corner now... I have not seen her poop there but that is where I find her poop...
It seems she would have to stand on her warm hide and hang her butt over the side to get her poop where I find it now...

I am interesting in seeing her do this...

SassyAbi

Mine poops in like two corners, its weird lol and its got a wet patch around it. I wonder if thats normal.

suz830

I'm pretty sure that is normal... when mine poops on the paper towel there is always moisture around it, also there is liquid when my beardie poops too... think about your poop it is moist... its not just a solid rock

SassyAbi

Haha i guess so but his other poops werent like that thats why i asked. Its only started since i fed mealies (used to feed crickets).

Visit our friends