humid hide problems

reds_21

I am having a problem keeping our humid hide moist. just this morning, we sprayed the moss with water and about 2-3 hours later, it was completely dry. how can we keep this moist? were constantly spraying it.

Srt14292

Est; 1992
if you are using sphagnum moss, instead of spraying it, clean out the hide, and SOAK the moss in water, squeeze till mostly moist, I find this gives you a good 2 days between topping up with water, make sure its moist all the way through, it will get very dry and crusty on the bottom.

Dead Dreamer

My leo does not use her humid hide AT ALL. I've tried big, small, warm side, cold side, half-half. I said to hell with it. I give her attention every day, so I will know when she will shed. When I noticed her turning white, I just misted her and her home and voila! Shed perfectly about 2 hours later.

F

fikken

its different for each gecko. two of my geckos hardly leave the moist hides. two of them only use it when they need to shed and the others dont even care its there, never seen them use it. I know that all my geckos HATE being misted. especially the blizzards. it stresses them out and they usually try to bite it and chirp at me. spraying IMO isnt good for the cage and the gecko. a warm soaking though in a separate sterile container is very good especially if you have a shed that is tough to get off

B

BioWorkZ

I soak the sphagnum moss initially, but I would only mist the dry part which is usually at the entrance of the humid hide daily. It can easily go 2 days without misting, but I read from (forgot the forum member name) that sphagnum moss will absorb moisture when it's too dry and in turn dehydrate your geckos.

Visit our friends