AlligatorLoki

Hi!!
I am in need of some advice, I have been having some trouble keeping the humidity in a good range in my crested gecko enclosure.

These issues only started after I sized my crestie Spyro up to a 18x18x24. I mist the enclosure twice a day. Once in the morning and then again at night by morning it drops to 30 to 40%. When I check it when I get home from work it drops down to the high 20% range.

I have plastic wrap, foil, and plexiglass on half of the screen top. My substrate is made up of a layer of hydroballs, screen, and forest floor bedding. I have tried using eco earth which worked okay my issue with it was water began to pool in the bottom of the tank.

Any other suggestions to help? I know that humidity is going to fluctuate I would like to try to keep it from getting so low. I do also live in a pretty dry climate. 20211126_172600.jpg 20211126_172614.jpg 20211126_172637.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Are the plants in the enclosure real or fake (I'm assuming fake because I don't see any lighting for them). One way to increase humidity is to have a water bowl (I think I see one, but not sure) and also some plants. If you don't want to increase the chance of decreasing humidity because of the light you'd need with most plants you could also go with low light plants, possibly lucky bamboo. Also, how are you measuring humidity? If you're using one of those dials that stick to the side of the enclosure they're worthless and not accurate. I do run humidifiers in my living/dining room during the winter, not because of the geckos, but because it gets really dry (forced hot air heat) and my husband gets nosebleeds. Currently (we haven't started the humidifiers yet) the humidity is about 27% in the dining room, but I haven't had any worries about my 8 crested, gargoyle and leachie enclosures.

Aliza

AlligatorLoki

Are the plants in the enclosure real or fake (I'm assuming fake because I don't see any lighting for them). One way to increase humidity is to have a water bowl (I think I see one, but not sure) and also some plants. If you don't want to increase the chance of decreasing humidity because of the light you'd need with most plants you could also go with low light plants, possibly lucky bamboo. Also, how are you measuring humidity? If you're using one of those dials that stick to the side of the enclosure they're worthless and not accurate. I do run humidifiers in my living/dining room during the winter, not because of the geckos, but because it gets really dry (forced hot air heat) and my husband gets nosebleeds. Currently (we haven't started the humidifiers yet) the humidity is about 27% in the dining room, but I haven't had any worries about my 8 crested, gargoyle and leachie enclosures.

Aliza
They are artificial plants. I am using the zoomed digital hygrometer and thermometer to measure. There is a small water bowl in the corner at the bottom of the enclosure. I do have some house plants I could put in after I repot them. I have a led grow light would that in combination with the heat lamp help?

I haven't really looked into the lighting for live plants.

Thanks for the replay

Millie2310

Sorry to jump in - but what type of real plant do you recommend for a leopard gecko viv? I currently have artificial plants, but I am going to upgrade my leo's viv and am thinking of putting in real plants to increase humidity.

Also, would I need to change my heat lamp fort he plants?

Thanks!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If you use real plants for a leopard gecko enclosure, I'd recommend succulents in their own pots. That way, you can let them dry out and then take them out of the enclosure to water them. I don't see any reason to increase humidity in a leopard gecko enclosure. Why are you thinking of doing that?

Aliza

Millie2310

Okay, great thank you. I want to increase humidity because the environment of my house and where their viv is, it's very dry.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I think that rather than increasing the humidity in the enclosure in general, you should be sure to provide a humid hide and to avoid Ceramic Heat Emitters and overhead lighting (assuming you have a heat mat) which further dries out the air in addition to heating it.

Aliza

Visit our friends