I get the first post!! Eyelid notch

Would you breed and/or buy an offspring from a gecko with a similar defect?

• Yes, I would breed such a gecko and purchase normal looking offspring.

Votes: 25 62.5%
  • Yes, I would purchase normal looking offspring, but would not breed such a gecko.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Yes, I would breed such a gecko in my care, but I would not purchase any offspring.

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • No, I would not want anything to do with such a gecko or it's offspring.

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
Woohoo, I get the first post in here! Debate all you guys want, it'll be a few days before I can get back to this. :D

After a lot of consideration on my part, and talking with the breeder, I've decided to breed Dr. Evil. I doubt this discussion will change my decision, BUT you never know what info might come up.

Dr. Evil hatched with a kink in one eyelid. He can fully close his eyelid and there is no visible notch when viewing from above. It is my opinion that it was a result of poor supplementation of the parents, and he was the only gecko produced with this problem. I'd like to state now (seeing as many of you know where he comes from) that I in no way feel the supplement problem was a result of anything the breeder had done.

Normally, I wouldn't even entertain the idea of breeding a gecko with any type of physical abnormality that was apparent from hatching. In this case, I'm making an exception for 2 reasons.

1. I strongly believe it is a result of too little vitamin A during conception, and is not genetic.

2. The deformity is very minor, and has not affected him in any way.

I realise that there are people out there who would not want to purchase a gecko that has a parent with a physical defect, fearing risk that it is genetic. Due to this, I fully intend to disclose information about the one eyelid.

My question to you is, would YOU breed such a gecko? Please give any reasons why or why not. Also, would you purchase a gecko knowing one parent had a problem such as this?

Play nice now! :main_thumbsup: Oh, I should mention he's squinting a bit in the photograph, which makes the kink more apparent.

Last edited:
W

Wretched

Awww

...'es a cutie! I'd buy him. Whats one little eye notch anyway? My fave gecko has a kinky tail Yes I'd breed -and- buy notchy eyed babies.

BalloonzForU

I think Dr. Evil is awesome, I'd love to have one of his babies. I think you are going about this the correct way. First he's from a good breeder, and you've done your research about him, his parents, sibs, etc. but I'm sure the breeder told you all this upfront without having to asks. If it were to prove genetic I'm sure you would do the right thing and not breed him again.

Now if the eye lid was different say half missing or a slit then I'd be a little leary of breeding him.

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
I was absolutely told up front anything I needed to know. I would be...shall we say peeved if I hadn't been!

Also, I agree, I wouldn't feel comfortable breeding a gecko with a more severe defect.

Sandra

I would probably breed him. I wouldn't sell his offspring without being 100% sure that it isn't a genetic trait, but the only way to know it is breeding him. If any of his offspring turned out to inherit this defect, I would keep them as pets.

And yeah, I would buy a gecko with an eyelid notch if I like the gecko. It's not like it's a very obvious deformity.

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
That brings up and interesting question. Would you (anyone can answer) do test breeding first, to rule out any change of it being geneting? It could be done by holding back the 1st generation and breed the females back to him. If the second generation is clean, then I think any genetic worries would go away.

So, would you sell 1st generation, or would you hold back?

BalloonzForU

Test breeding back is a great way to prove a vitamin issue and not genetic. I would most likely sell all but two females from the first generation, disclosing the eye issue, then notify buyers of the outcome.

PS. Why aren't you at the hospital delivering that little girl yet?

Grinning Geckos

Tegan onboard.
You're asking me? Heck if I know! LOL I'm just trying to pass time til they call. If I don't hear something by noon, I'll be calling to see what the hold up is. I want to go in!!

Sandra

Grinning Geckos said:
So, would you sell 1st generation, or would you hold back?
I would hold back until the second generation, just to know if it's recessive. After proving that it isn't a genetic trait, I would sell the second generation as hatchlings and the first generation at breeder adults price. Since I don't think I will breed geckos for a living, I would wait for the final outcomes.

Ps: Good luck Shanti! :main_thumbsup:

Ian S.

Dr. Evil is one ssmokin dude. Congrats
I would definately pair him up and would have no problems purchasing an offspring from his lineage, seeing as though I agree 100% that the eyelid deformity is caused by a lack of vitamin A supplimentation during the mothers gestation period.
Beautiful gecko:main_thumbsup:

Last edited:

brandy101010

I would breed him to the 2nd generation just to prove to myself and my future customers that it is not genetic. If all turned out well I would then sell the 1st generation as breeders as stated before. I would not feel comfortable selling them until it was completely proven though. If the deformity showed up an any hatchlings, All Offspring would be sold as pet only animals and no further breeding would take place. As far as buying a gecko from this breeding I would not do so until it was completely proven not genetic or I might buy one as pet only for myself or a family member.

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
I'll be breeding the same pair together again next season, and I think that will help to determine the alleged "genetic" factor. ...But I really don't think genetics had an effect on it with the exception, perhaps, of a genetic predisposition to throw such "kinks" in the presence, or lack thereof, certain vitamin deficiencies.

...so in other words, I don't know how on Earth anyone could ever claim 100% to know the etiology behind such a deformity without extensive scientific research; well beyond the scope of any of us here (as far as I know).

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
And just to clarify (since it's mighty obvious who Shanti obtained this gecko from) I told her about "Dr. Evil", and stated that I wouldn't feel right "selling" him, but if she was interested in giving him a good home, that she was welcome to him.

L

LadyGecko

Felicia- he is a great looking gecko and I would not mind the eye notch
and my vote would be to go ahead and breed him and see what happens with the babies
It's the only way to really know for sure
Paul- I don't think that anyone here is questioning your ethics on this matter
but it was nice of you to volunteer the explanation
:D
Sandy

BalloonzForU

LadyGecko said:
Felicia- he is a great looking gecko and I would not mind the eye notch
and my vote would be to go ahead and breed him and see what happens with the babies
It's the only way to really know for sure
Paul- I don't think that anyone here is questioning your ethics on this matter
but it was nice of you to volunteer the explanation
:D
Sandy

LOL ok Shanti you just gave me Dr. Evil! LOL

I agree no one is questioning Paul's ethics. I think Shanti was questioning her own. I think we all agree that it's a vitamin issue. I think the issue of genetics would be if it was just some breeder we didn't know and trust.

brandy101010

I would never question Pauls ethics. He is well respected and honest. The gecko was sold to Shanti honestly. She knew what she was buying. There is nothing wrong with that.

marula

..i have a simil problem with my gem (the midnight blizzard)...
i check from the breeder and he said parents and siblings don't have this kind of problem..
i whant to try to reproduce her ..if born something with the same problem i sell her like a pet...

L

LadyGecko

BalloonzForU said:
LOL ok Shanti you just gave me Dr. Evil! LOL

I agree no one is questioning Paul's ethics. I think Shanti was questioning her own. I think we all agree that it's a vitamin issue. I think the issue of genetics would be if it was just some breeder we didn't know and trust.

Oops-sorry-That's what I get for posting when I'm half asleep
:eek:

Visit our friends