I had a fit at the pet store today (LONG)

JordanAng420

I wish I could provide pictures as evidence, but I was too shocked and upset to think about it at the time. I went to a different pet store today for waxworms (popular chain) because the one I use was sold out. I asked the girl for 2 tubs of waxworms, she got them out of the 'fridge and handed them to me. On my way to the register, I stopped and looked at the selection of "reptiles" they had at that particular store. That was my first mistake. In a cubby-sized box on the top right, that was probbably no more than 6" x 6" x 6", was a pathetic (understatement) looking tremper albino leopard gecko with it's eyes closed and its legs thrown back behind it's body. Flattened out on it's dirty, disgusting repticarpet. I saw no chest movement, no eyelid flutter, I tapped on the glass...no response. The thing looked like it had been left out on the driveway in the sun. It looked like it hadn't eaten for weeks...he had such horrible MBD that it looked like he had baseballs attached to his joints. I was so disturbed by this that I actually asked to speak with the store manager, who I explained my concernes to...(second mistake) She promptly informed me, without looking, that he was shedding and "she has 2 and they ALWAYS look that way when they shed" (because OBVIOUSLY she knows whats best) "It freaks my husband out all the time" she says. I didn't tell her about my 3 year Veterinary Technology degree, or my 4 year bachelors in Biology. Not to mention the doctor I work for is board certified in exotic animals. In fact, she never gave me the chance, she walked away before I was done talking. Horrified, I made my way back to the checkout, and FURTHER expressed (I made sure to do it in a REALLY big line) how displeased I was with how the animals are kept in improper environments. At this point, the manager returned with the poor little leo, who could only manage enough energy to pick up his head and open one eye. "SEE??? He IS alive. I told you." She actually said I told you. I was so upset I cried on the way home. The FILTH in the cage was unexcusable. There were no signs of crickets, or mealworms. No WATER DISH. No moist hide, no heat, no light. Just carpet and a half a log. I was genuinely concerned about the welfare of these animals, and I never intended to be rude about it but when the person who is representing that store tells me, "No, you're WRONG, there is no problem" it really gets me steamed. I'm contemplating going back, taking pictures for evidence and possibly going to the regional manager. Although they probbably took it out right after I left (if it didn't die already) There's got to be SOMETHING that can be done about improving the quality of husbandry in pet stores as well as properly educating staff with the latest care....thanks for listening to my venting!!!

Halley

Yeah, I’ve heard a lot of stories like this, I’m just thankful that most of them around here do an okay job. Although it could be better.

JordanAng420

Emma, I wanted to so badly. I also didn't want to risk contamination of my leos and eggs, or to set myself up for failure and disappointment. There's a part of my veterinary training that deals with ethics and euthanasia and teaches me to disassociate my emotions from my job. I think that's what you were talking about, John. It's something i've always struggled with 'cuz I care too much. I wouldn't be in this business if I didn't. :)

Ccrashca069

JordanAng420 said:
Emma, I wanted to so badly. I also didn't want to risk contamination of my leos and eggs, or to set myself up for failure and disappointment. There's a part of my veterinary training that deals with ethics and euthanasia and teaches me to disassociate my emotions from my job. I think that's what you were talking about, John. It's something i've always struggled with 'cuz I care too much. I wouldn't be in this business if I didn't. :)

I love all animals. Some of my reptiles are rescues and some of the cats have decided to make our house their home so we got them up to date on shots and spayed/netured. My wife works at the best Vet hospital were we live. I been asked to fix some of their computers and be their computer advisior when they update their computers on the network. They had anouther computer person but he charged them huge amounts of money and I just charge what I feel is fair. Granted we get alot of stuff for our animals free or next to nothing because my wife works there but I just what I do because its what I do and I enjoy it. The doctors and staff there are amazing.

I just try not to look at the reptles esp leopard geckos at the stores because I know I will get mad if they look sick , ect....... There is only 1 place I look at them and that is because the person in charge of the reptile section trys her best to keep them housed the best she can. Whenever the Regianal Manager is there, her job is on the line. She has had alot of talks with the GM about reptile care. She has even dared him to Fire her over it. She has finally put her ap to work at the Vet hospital. I hope she gets hired.

D

downthebeatenpath

Same type of thing happened to me the other day, at a big chain petstore, there was a cage with a few baby red tailed boa in them, one was so skinny he was like flattened and the skin was hanging off his body, eyes cloudy, didn't look like he was breathing, so I told someone they poked him and he barely moved, they said oh he's still alive he's fine, apparently just clinging to life is good enough for a lot of these places.

W

WftRight

My California Kingsnake came from a local store where no one wanted to deal with snakes. On one of my first trips, I found their ball python with severe problems in its mouth. To the manager's credit, he took the thing to a vet, but the snake died within a few days. Most of the folks there were afraid of the snakes, so whenever I visited, I'd hold each snake so that the workers could change water. For a long time, my CalKing was the only snake that left that store alive. Eventually, they moved most of their snakes to good homes. They got more snakes later, but they also had some better snake people later. They've now closed that location.

JordanAng420

WftRight said:
Eventually, they moved most of their snakes to good homes. They got more snakes later, but they also had some better snake people later. They've now closed that location.

Well, that makes me feel better. At least SOME people are doing their best. Kudos to them for totally going out of the way to make the remaining pets comfortable. I wish more stores were like this.

S

Sidork

Ccrashca069 said:
You just have to teach yourself to never look at them. I don't animals at mine. I get feeders and sulpliments as needed and thats it.
I cant do that!

boutiquegecko

Um, I was at a pet store where there were leo babies, water dragons and aft's all in the same tank. There's one pet store here I will never go into-they sell puppies, so....Anyhow, here in Florida we can call the humane society and report neglect in a pet store. They are supposed to go check it out.

Alusdra

Don't just buy supplies there and ignore the poor care! Complaining is a good first step, as is taking pictures and making a stink with someone higher up or even with the local law enforcement. In most places not providing water is illegal- it could even be a felony. At the very least vote with your dollars and shop somewhere else. If their animals are in such poor shape, what's to say that the feeders won't have something that could sicken your animal, or that you might pick up something that poor animal had and bring it home to your guys. Besides which, you get better quality, service and price online these days.

goReptiles

I would go to the website and post a complaint about the animals and mention that you spoke with an employee and the names if you remember. I've had to do it a few times with a retail chain in my area. They never offer CGD to their crested geckos and I was told "crickets are good enough" and another employee new exactly what CGD was and that they needed it and she said she'd tell the other guy, and when I came back to find still no food, that's what he told me. After the second complaint, I noticed they had food, but it had been there so long it was moldy. The next time fresh food, and then after that no food.

Another situation was with four 10+ inch red iguanas in a small tank (about 9x9x9 if not less). I mentioned it to a worker who said they were fine, but after complaining to corporate they were moved to a larger tank just a few days later.

I try not to complain too much, as I used to work there and I don't want them to realize that it's me putting in the complaints, especially as I'm complaining to people I used to work with and then going home to tell corporate.

But, definitely complain to corporate. They take this stuff seriously. I was told this by the animal manager for the area whenever he would come down to check on things.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
In my experience, 'corporate' doesn't really give a darn about the animals their stores sell, and will do absolutely NOTHING about it. I have banged heads with [BIG NAME CHAIN PET STORE] soooo many times over the past 13 years, I have given up.

I no longer give my business to these places, and 'if' I need to go in to one of their stores, I force myself to stay away from the reptiles. It's just too heartbreaking and frustrating to deal with this kind of stuff.

Bonney425

not a junior
I had A talk with the corporate office of one of the pet stores here today and blew up a little more than i intended to because one of the employees at the store told me that there was a man in corporate that wrote up so called care sheets for the animals and all the stores were supposed to abide by them. one of the things on there she mentioned was that they are supposed to give them one cricket per inch on their bodies not including thier tails, and i kinda lost it on that note these poor little guys tails looked like sticks. So i got the know it alls number at corporate at had a ..heated disscusion with him. He didn't even know they needed calcium!!! and he's got all thier lives in his hand. Talk about mad.

leolover23

Oh, that is HORRIBLE! You should go back and get him! At least transfer him to a pal so he can have a good life even if it's not with you. That's too sad.

S

starfire8472

Kind of along with this, I've noticed that locally owned stores typically are much better with care for their animals and offer higher quality pets/feeders/etc. We have one near us that is about the costs slightly more than a chain store (not much more at all though) that I always go to. I modeled my leo's setup after the 20 gallon aquarium there

Visit our friends