I had a fit at the pet store today (LONG)

Kellyr

I didnt read anyone elses repsonce to this, just the initial post. If I were you I definately would have schooled her with your educational background there is no reason for her to WALK AWAY FROM A CUSTOMER while you were still talking that is rude!! She should have been grateful that you were thoughtful enough to bring this to her attention. And if he or she was in shed she shouldnt be picking it up to tl a customer "I told you" Thats horrible. I go to chains now and then for crickets b/c my experince with ordering from farms most of them die ( I cant keep so many they are wasy too dirty) and I feel like every time I go in there I have to tell someone about a leo that was anorexic, a beardie that looked half alive, a Crested that had its tail eaten off by one that was much larger- They keep their animals on the wrong substrate, and do not keep them in groups of similar size. It makes me want to stop looking when I come in :eek:

R

ReptileRookie

Aww, that's just awful!

The pet shop I get food and all that from isn't perfect either. All the animals have all they need- lights, heating, food, water etc- but it's very crowded. I saw about 5 geckos in a tank for about 2. They seemed healthy enough though...

nats

Whenever I have to go into a chain pet store, I never look at the animals. I know better for my own sake.

Like Marcia, I have complained to the highest ranks until I turn blue.
They just politely shrug me off. What's the use anymore?

To them, the animals are merely a commodity. They just as well be selling toothbrushes.

T

Tiny chibi

It really is disgraceful, I see that quite alot and sometimes the animals are actually dead! The problem is that (most of the time) big named companies that sell animals of any kind is more cost efficent to feed and care for them less so when people buy them then they make more money. It really is sickening to think that some people will stoop to levels where a little bit of extra money in their pockets is more important than a living creatures life.

This is kind of subject but, one of my Leos was a rescue gecko. When I got her she was almost exactly the same as you described, but her tail was all shriveled up and she ended up just fine. She was 24 grams when i got her now she is 57 grams. The person that sold her to me for $10 said that she was only fed 1 cricket every week. She was all mean and stuff, but now she has a very nice personality.

Tanggecko

Gecko Whisperer
I know this is an old post but i just had to put my 2 cents in. I have had a similar expereance with a big chain pet store. One day i went in to one of the big chain stores. I looked at the reptiles and saw that the leos (not to mention other reptiles cages) were really dirty and the leos were very thin. I talked to one of the employees there and told them that the geckos were sick and the cages were disgusting. The only thing the employee had to say was that the cages were cleaned out every morning. Well this comment really got me upset. Their were only 2 leos in that tank and i know 2 little leos cant poop that much in just a few hours. So i asked to speak with the manager. I told the manager my complaints and how he could fix the problems. The manager agreed with me and said he would fix the problem. I left the store feeling like i did something for those poor little geckos. Well a few days later i decided to go back and check up on the geckos. The cage was in the exact same state as before (maybe a little worse). So again, i asked to speak with a manager. Well this time i spoke to the head manager of the store. I told him the same things i told the previous manager and I added that I had already reported this to a manager a few days before. Well i got the same load of crap i got a few days before. The manager said he would fix the problem. A few days later I made another visit to the pet store and the leo tanks were in the same condition. So I went home and emailed the corporate office and reported the problem to them. All i got in response was a letter and some coupons to their crappy store. The problem has not been fixed. Big Suprize!

Haligren

is behind you.
I'm sorry to say that I work for one of these stores. Granted, it's more of a locally owned pet store (they have a small chain going in this province), but since my complaints and suggestions have fallen on deaf ears, I will be quitting at the end of the month, and I will be calling the SPCA.

If you want to read more about the horrors for working at my store then find the thread called Salt On the Wound. Should be a bit lower on the Rants/Raves page.

Granted things have gotten a bit better as far as death rates improving. I don't know if it's because of me or what. Things could be a lot worse, but things could also be a lot better.

As far as the OP goes, I would launch a complaint with the SPCA in your area as well as contacting the store's higher-ups. Even if nothing much happens, at least you can't say you haven't tried.

H

horsecrav202

Thats so sad:(
They better do something about that (But by the looks of it - they wont:()

jtsanti

Just wanted to add my 2 cents.
If you have a choice, don't shop there.
I stopped shopping at the big chain stores that sell animals.
I go to locally owned stores that are staffed by knowledgeable and caring people.
I am so thankful that I have that choice.

Leopard.Geckerz

I've never seen a pet store housing reptiles in a way that was satisfactory to me. Ive seen some pretty bad stuff at my local store, which is notorious for poor treatment of ALL of its animals and fortunately has a bad rep.. they still do enough business to stay open though..

The only time I've done something is when I saw an AFT in there for the first time. A horned mountain dragon was sitting on TOP of him and I just saw his face and his crooked jaw. When I asked to see him, I realized how skinny he was. When I asked for a price, and it was only $40..and the middle of December (Christmas). I couldn't leave him there. I believe he had the beginnings of MBD from the shape of his jaw. He's okay now and I don't regret the decision to take him, but wouldn't do it again.

metaldad904

Sideshow Freak
Believe it or not i've already been kicked out(asked to leave) of 2 local petstore chains in the past 1 1/2 months (it's the same major chain....rhymes with smetco). I try very hard to not look at the reptiles, but I just can't help myself....i want to see, each and everytime i find something severely wrong with the vast majority of them. I'll get a manager, explain to them the situation as calmly as possible, they treat me like an idiot & as if they are the god of reptiles and i inevitably go off on them. I tell them exactly what i think, explitives & all. They kindly ask me to leave, so i do b/c let's face it.....J don't wanna go to jail. The last time i got really pissed off b/c the "associate" or whatever the hell you wanna call them supposedly has a degree in biology & tried to defend the condition the geckos we're all in. I asked her if she got her degree off an online site in under an hour....she didn't take too kind to that, not like i cared. I'm really not even a quick tempered sort usually....this stuff just pisses me off to no end. It's really not that hard to take proper care of these animals, they have all the necessary equipment and caging to do it but they're just too damn lazy. If i didn't think i'd attack a manager & get into trouble i would work there just to ensure they get proper care. Pet stores blow in every way, yet i can't avoid using them for supplies but that's never going to stop me from speaking my mind. My policy is if one customer hears it and agrees then i've done my job.

Last edited:

metaldad904

Sideshow Freak
First of all...

That too funny, Thanks for the new nick name.

Second, as for the rest of your post I feel you. I don't know how these stores are getting away with this. I say keep on houndin em.

Hehe...i thought someone might enjoy that.

I don't either & I see no reason to stop. Doing nothing & quietly leaving the store isn't really doing any better a job. In the end this at least helps me blow off some steam and i feel better that i at least tried.

S

starfire8472

We have a local store near us that surprisingly does a great job at care. No sand/ no free crickets running around. They usually have 3 leos to a 20 long with plenty of hides and fake plants to climb on. The Kicker: UTH! No heat rock!

loulovespat

I wish I could provide pictures as evidence, but I was too shocked and upset to think about it at the time. I went to a different pet store today for waxworms (popular chain) because the one I use was sold out. I asked the girl for 2 tubs of waxworms, she got them out of the 'fridge and handed them to me. On my way to the register, I stopped and looked at the selection of "reptiles" they had at that particular store. That was my first mistake. In a cubby-sized box on the top right, that was probbably no more than 6" x 6" x 6", was a pathetic (understatement) looking tremper albino leopard gecko with it's eyes closed and its legs thrown back behind it's body. Flattened out on it's dirty, disgusting repticarpet. I saw no chest movement, no eyelid flutter, I tapped on the glass...no response. The thing looked like it had been left out on the driveway in the sun. It looked like it hadn't eaten for weeks...he had such horrible MBD that it looked like he had baseballs attached to his joints. I was so disturbed by this that I actually asked to speak with the store manager, who I explained my concernes to...(second mistake) She promptly informed me, without looking, that he was shedding and "she has 2 and they ALWAYS look that way when they shed" (because OBVIOUSLY she knows whats best) "It freaks my husband out all the time" she says. I didn't tell her about my 3 year Veterinary Technology degree, or my 4 year bachelors in Biology. Not to mention the doctor I work for is board certified in exotic animals. In fact, she never gave me the chance, she walked away before I was done talking. Horrified, I made my way back to the checkout, and FURTHER expressed (I made sure to do it in a REALLY big line) how displeased I was with how the animals are kept in improper environments. At this point, the manager returned with the poor little leo, who could only manage enough energy to pick up his head and open one eye. "SEE??? He IS alive. I told you." She actually said I told you. I was so upset I cried on the way home. The FILTH in the cage was unexcusable. There were no signs of crickets, or mealworms. No WATER DISH. No moist hide, no heat, no light. Just carpet and a half a log. I was genuinely concerned about the welfare of these animals, and I never intended to be rude about it but when the person who is representing that store tells me, "No, you're WRONG, there is no problem" it really gets me steamed. I'm contemplating going back, taking pictures for evidence and possibly going to the regional manager. Although they probbably took it out right after I left (if it didn't die already) There's got to be SOMETHING that can be done about improving the quality of husbandry in pet stores as well as properly educating staff with the latest care....thanks for listening to my venting!!!
i agree, when i go in the pet shop and ask for advice about my gecko, rather they dont know or there talking complete crap!

Yamori

Aussie Reptile Keeper
Its always the same in pet stores even here in Aus. There are usually several geckos crowded in to a small tank, no hides or water with a heat lamp on all day, not to mention the build up of fecal mater where they are too lazy to clean it.

I tried to explain that what they were doing was harming the animals but it was like talking to a brick wall. Its so hard to see something like this and know you cant do anything about it so i no longer go to pet stores.

I buy all my reptile goods online at well known online store dedicated solely to reptiles and is run by people that love these animals and know what they are doing.

Visit our friends