I NEED HELP!!!!

MrGeckoLover

Gecko4Life
Hey, so i really want a leopard gecko right but my parents are fixed on me not getting one. Ive tried everything, i studied for like a month, made a report and had a talk, i even showed them a video..... are there any other ideas!:main_huh::main_huh::main_huh::main_huh::

Last edited:

emullins7

do what i did and just go buy one and bring it home..it might get you in a little trouble but once your parents see him/her they will love it haha good luck :p

acharpenter

I dont suggest the advice above. It is thier home and thier decision. If you brought home a pet into my home without speaking to me first - that would cause alot of problems.

I would bring them to a pet store to see one and see the little needed for thier home in order to have one.

Even better would be to find someone local to you that has one you could bring them to see.

Then they could see one in a home environment and see for themselves that they do not smell and are relatively easy to provide a home for.

I had this same problem with my husband until I showed him a freinds LG - once he saw that they really did not smell and their homes do not have to be anything huge - he was ok with me getting one

Good Luck and kudos to you for doing all that research first!!!

Spots

Depends on your age. If a younger child of mine (don't have any but this is theoretical) asked for a gecko and I didn't want one...there would be no way the child would get it because I'd probably be the one taking care of it. If you are say...15+ then I think it's a matter of how you present the pet.

Good to see you have done your research. I would compile a list of facts and a budget. List out everything you need to set up for the gecko with a list of prices of the items from the pet store. If you want to make things cheaper, paper towels and plastic tubs for hides are the cheapest to go (if your parents are concern about the money portion). I would also save money. If you are asking them to pay for it, then I would make a deal like...you'll pay for the gecko itself if your parents are willing to pay for the set up..and then prove it to them by actually having the money saved already.

I would also list out any potential problems with the gecko, the lifespan, the care needed, the feeders needed (some parents will freak about the live crickets lol)

Basically, you have to prove to your parents that you are serious about this and are willing to take the responsibility of raising it. And by contributing your own money into the gecko, it shows that you are serious. But just remember that having a gecko means taking the responsibility of it. It's not just a fad or cool pet for a few months. It's a living creature and should be treated with respect too. And I'm only saying this because many people don't realize that if the gecko needs to see a vet, it is your responsibility to get it to one..which means you should save money for an emergency fund in case this happens in the future. If you can't afford a gecko, IMO, you shouldn't get one.

Good luck!

Pinky81

do what i did and just go buy one and bring it home..it might get you in a little trouble but once your parents see him/her they will love it haha good luck :p

Please do not do this...you'll end up like the other kid on here with parents who will not help with the Leo's care when it gets sick.

Its all well and good to beable to afford the everyday care for a pet...but what you have to remember is pets get sick and when a Herp gets sick it costs A LOT!!! I have a seperate savings account that I put money into for emergency funds for my pets (i have two small dogs too)

Good things come to those who wait!

PaladinGirl

Show them some videos of leopard geckos on You Tube, let them see how cute they are. Maybe they'll think so too, although there are a lot of videos of leos eating, which might freak some people out. Try finding videos of Dagon the leopard gecko. He's really cute. Hope this helps. In the end though, it's still their house. When you are older and have your own place, you can get as many leos as you want!! :)

Thorgecko707

THORGECKO
If it were me, and it was and worked for me. I would go get a free tank, yard sale for supplies, and set it all up under 20 dollars of your own money. Tell them you want to adopt a free one (god knows they are everywhere), and earn money to sustain them. These have to be the cheapest pet to keep, the least smelly, most affectionate, and most rewarding. There is my two cents. I hope it works out well for you.

Holly12

Ya know what I know what you are saying on how your parents won't let you have a gecko. Well I will say this see I live with my mom because she needs my help well when I started to get into reptiles she was like hell no lmao. I talk to her I beg her I even start crying oh yes like a big baby lol well oneday we was at the pet store and she saw the leos. And so she found out that they was not hard to take care of so she let me have one. Now this was back 8 years ago lol so please prove to your parents that you are willing to take responsibility thats what I had to do because it's her house and what she says goes. So show your parents that you are willing to take on taking care of a animal I wish you all of the luck. ;)

Adinar

Yeah, absolutly terrible advice.

What everyone else is saying is better. Take them to the petstore, let them see them. Maybe ask one of the employees to take one out so you parents can interact with one. Check out craigslist for supplies and a gecko in need of a home. There are much better alternatives then the above listed ignorance.

LaurenE

Yeahhhhh, definitely don't just bring one home. That is unfair to your parents and unfair to the gecko. I think before anyone can give you any real advice about how to convince your parents, we need to know WHY the don't want you to have one. Do they not like pets? Do they like pets but not reptiles? Are they worried you won't take care of it? Are they worried it will be too expensive? Once we know what their reasoning is we can help you more with coming up with an agreement with them.

Marr

addict
Yeahhhhh, definitely don't just bring one home. That is unfair to your parents and unfair to the gecko. I think before anyone can give you any real advice about how to convince your parents, we need to know WHY the don't want you to have one. Do they not like pets? Do they like pets but not reptiles? Are they worried you won't take care of it? Are they worried it will be too expensive? Once we know what their reasoning is we can help you more with coming up with an agreement with them.

exactly what i was thinking............really hard to find a solution without knowing the problem.........excellent response..........i'm sure if you give them enough reason,they will let you eventually,just just don't push it and don't do anything harsh,will only cause more problems in the end..............

Visit our friends