I really hate...

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
... well, everything, because I am basically rage shaped like a man.

Specifically and lately though, I am really hating the results of a couple generations of people who grew up in an environment where nobody ever told them they were wrong about anything.

We can't hurt dere widdle feewings, so kids are raised being told that everything that they ever choose to do or think or try is perfectly acceptable, that they can get away with anything and that they are incapable of genuine failure. It has been going on for years now and a bunch of them have turned into self entitled and absolutely to the bone ignorant adults who seem to believe that they can do no wrong and that the entire world will be handed to them without an effort, simply by virtue of being themselves.

I see it in forum posts constantly and it sickens me to think of what the future will be like when we finally run out of even the few remaining voices who promulgate hard work, striving for understanding and personal betterment.

They play soccer, finish with a tied game and everyone gets ice cream. They get seventy percent of the answers wrong on a test in school but they're still getting a B+ because nobody is allowed to fail or the parents come around and complain, they are told that they are special and important and can be or do anything... and they are never, under any circumstances, told that they just do not have the natural ability or have not put in enough work to be successful. It encourages mediocrity, it removes the repercussions of failure and rewards everyone equally regardless of their contributions. It removes from them any understanding of why effort is necessary, because everyone gets treated equally regardless. They get the same rewards for contributing nothing, so why bother?

I am sick of seeing these people who have owned one leopard gecko for three months, have written a half dozen posts about their constant problems spouting off about how good or bad someone else's practices are. And you can't tell them that they're a rampaging moron utterly devoid of any credibility who needs to shut up and learn something, because they are incapable of comprehending the enormity of the gap that exists between themselves and those people who actually know something. It just doesn't fit into their brains that they can be anything but a perfect success with no effort whatsoever, that whatever half-assed conclusion they have drawn has equal validity when set up against the hard won and thoroughly tested information produced as a result of years of work and refinement, that even when they are wrong, they can't be told that or treated as if it were the case.

... I want to shake them violently back and forth while screaming at them about their many inadequacies until they wet themselves.

BrilliantEraser

Bookworm!
Also, my mother is an elementary school teacher. You know how hard it is to convince a child's parents to have them tested for Autism? The parents are one step shy of covering their ears with both hands and going "LA LA LA LALALALALALA" because damnit they don't want to hear that their child isn't absolutely perfect and flawless and someday going to become an astronaut or the president.

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
You people are seriously weird, agreeing with me as I throw a temper tantrum.

Although I guess it does say something about how widespread the frustration with this sort of behavior actually is.

latshki

Breeder in the making
I can't agree more
I have strayed away from this forum as I find its very repetitive, what happened to using the search function???
I am a part of the generation you speak of but thankfully Im a hillbilly and for the most part that hasn't hit my area yet
what I think is messing kids up is texting, it seems the more they text the worse their communication skills get
I am scared to know what will happen to my childrens generation

robin

... well, everything, because I am basically rage shaped like a man.

Specifically and lately though, I am really hating the results of a couple generations of people who grew up in an environment where nobody ever told them they were wrong about anything.

We can't hurt dere widdle feewings, so kids are raised being told that everything that they ever choose to do or think or try is perfectly acceptable, that they can get away with anything and that they are incapable of genuine failure. It has been going on for years now and a bunch of them have turned into self entitled and absolutely to the bone ignorant adults who seem to believe that they can do no wrong and that the entire world will be handed to them without an effort, simply by virtue of being themselves.

I see it in forum posts constantly and it sickens me to think of what the future will be like when we finally run out of even the few remaining voices who promulgate hard work, striving for understanding and personal betterment.

They play soccer, finish with a tied game and everyone gets ice cream. They get seventy percent of the answers wrong on a test in school but they're still getting a B+ because nobody is allowed to fail or the parents come around and complain, they are told that they are special and important and can be or do anything... and they are never, under any circumstances, told that they just do not have the natural ability or have not put in enough work to be successful. It encourages mediocrity, it removes the repercussions of failure and rewards everyone equally regardless of their contributions. It removes from them any understanding of why effort is necessary, because everyone gets treated equally regardless. They get the same rewards for contributing nothing, so why bother?

I am sick of seeing these people who have owned one leopard gecko for three months, have written a half dozen posts about their constant problems spouting off about how good or bad someone else's practices are. And you can't tell them that they're a rampaging moron utterly devoid of any credibility who needs to shut up and learn something, because they are incapable of comprehending the enormity of the gap that exists between themselves and those people who actually know something. It just doesn't fit into their brains that they can be anything but a perfect success with no effort whatsoever, that whatever half-assed conclusion they have drawn has equal validity when set up against the hard won and thoroughly tested information produced as a result of years of work and refinement, that even when they are wrong, they can't be told that or treated as if it were the case.

... I want to shake them violently back and forth while screaming at them about their many inadequacies until they wet themselves.
my daddy spoiled me never told me no. i learned my lesson sometime later i wasn't perfect. its not your business. i think there is a generation of people whom want to be given everything but then there are people like you who is the know it all, maybe you are a seasoned vet but you are not necessarily right all the time. not all of us spoiled kids are perfect.i had to learn things on my own but eh i am a bit older than the majority on here. still my daddy spoils me from to time but now he knows i am not perfect and tells me no. i do not expect things but i do appreciate them. i am 36

took him long enough

p.s. i got failing grades, corporal punishment and eventually got kicked out of school (i have a big mouth apparently)i still think i was right :D

Last edited:

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
It's most certainly a widespread frustration. I work at an elementary school and it's really saddening to see such rude, entitled attitudes in such tiny bodies.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Every generation has some complaint about how the kids are raised and how they behave as well as how the parents screw up. My grandparents generation ( married in the 20's) kept their kids on rigid schedules and brought them up to believe that there is only one way to live their lives. My parents generation married in the 50's and were part of the generation that had a double standard and that alienated their kids (never trust anyone over 30). My generation was considered to be irresponsible and spacy. My generation is considered to be helicopter parents, coddling their adult children endlessly (I'm not like that; ask my kids). There will always be mainstream criticism about each generation, how they are wrecking their kids and there will always be people who buck the conventional "wisdom" and use their common sense. The "good old days" are a myth.

Aliza

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Haha, believe me, the situation is worse over here in HK; and its not limited to the younger generations. A lot of adults need to re-educate too. You know, I have so much negative energy stored in me lately that I find your post...soothing. We (husband and I)are so disappointed in people to the point that we decided to not have kids; because if we do, they're sure to be "contaminated" by other kids as soon as they get to school. Plus the education system really sucks here.

thegeckoguy23

I can't agree more
I have strayed away from this forum as I find its very repetitive, what happened to using the search function???
I am a part of the generation you speak of but thankfully Im a hillbilly and for the most part that hasn't hit my area yet
what I think is messing kids up is texting, it seems the more they text the worse their communication skills get
I am scared to know what will happen to my childrens generation

I HATE TEXTING!!! WHY CAN'T PPL GET THERE LAZY BUTTS UP AND GO AND HANG OUT WITH PPL!

JAKE

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
+1 to the original OP's point of view. It gets so frustrating trying to live in todays society having the "it takes a village" mentality to find out that you're the only one in the village to HAVE that mentality. The cheese standa slone :( I'm sooo ready to say to heck with it all and go totally Grizzly Adams somewhere on God's half acre. totally fall off the grid. Teach my kids the values and life skills they'll need away from the mind bending spirit killing influences of soclety. I'm 40 and my upbringing in a broken household since I was 7, totally is a result of being raised by literally "Mommy Dearest" and it has produced (or at least I'd like to think) a very self aware individual with a moral foundation like the rock of gebralter. I see some of the kids my 5 year old plays with and just want to wretch at their behavior and what their parents actually call "parenting". No wonder why I get along better with the 60 and over members of my block better than the people my own age. I try to be realistic tho, I'm always telling hubby when he's had a "last straw day" that geography is moot, there's buttheads everywhere. It's sad really.

Last edited:

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
You people are seriously weird, agreeing with me as I throw a temper tantrum.

Although I guess it does say something about how widespread the frustration with this sort of behavior actually is.

When "normal" is the mess that you described I am perfectly content to be "seriously weird." :D

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
i think there is a generation of people whom want to be given everything but then there are people like you who is the know it all, maybe you are a seasoned vet but you are not necessarily right all the time.

I always feel like I have earned it when I am wrong though. I'm not sure how to necessarily explain that any better- some people will get it and some won't. I constantly strive to be right, to learn more, to know what I need to know- so when I am wrong, it is going to be a part of that process, a product of that effort and I become better for it. I am sometimes mistaken and I sometimes have brain farts, I can add things up incorrectly and I can jump to a conclusion, I am human and fallible... but I am never wrong because I am too lazy to try to be right.

A friend of mine who knows me pretty well commented on a similar rant that I directed at him. He said that my frustrations when dealing with people were something akin to "rescuer syndrome." People who run animal rescues that get to see all the mistakes and the crappy practices and it modifies their expectations for the world and the way they interact with it. Mine is some kind of "stupid question syndrome" though.

He also told me that I am the worst teacher in the world. He's probably right about that, I can lecture like a champ but I have no patience for any adult that fails to comprehend what has been presented to them. They might or might not get one chance, one shot at an alternate wording as an explanation and then I write them off as defective and incapable of learning.

Oddly though, I have no problems with little kids. Give me a kid somewhere between the age of four and ten with a question about a snake and I'll answer everything they want to know, explain it as many times as I need to and they'll finish up ready to pass at least a freshmen herpetology course in any college you care to name. I know a seven year old kid that can explain the tricarboxylic acid cycle because I happened to be visiting his mother when he asked how plants used sunlight to make food. It's probably got something to do with the way they pay attention and actually try to remember things they are told.

Stl_Greaser

I am happy to have grown up in a blue collar family where both parents went to work every week day and some weekends for the overtime. We didn't scrape by but we sure appreciated what we had. I applied for my first job a month before turning 16 so I could start the day I turned 16. I went to trade school and I work my butt off for everything I have now. I average 60 hours a week as an industrial electrician. I don't live off of anyone like some of the people I know. I am also glad that I got my butt whooped when I did something wrong, it sucked back then but I sure learned my lesson. There was no time out in my family, you got your butt whooped and grounded.

I bought all of my cars, always payed my own insurance. Didn't get a cell phone till I was 20. And bought my house at 22!

I was disgusted the other day to watch a 9 year old girl pull out an iPhone and start texting. Now I have an iPhone for the convenience but why the hell would someone buy one for their child. There is no need for them to have something they can not even comprehend how to use to if fullest.

I blame all the the pansy as parents out there now. Afraid to be sued for disciplining their children.

robin

I always feel like I have earned it when I am wrong though. I'm not sure how to necessarily explain that any better- some people will get it and some won't. I constantly strive to be right, to learn more, to know what I need to know- so when I am wrong, it is going to be a part of that process, a product of that effort and I become better for it. I am sometimes mistaken and I sometimes have brain farts, I can add things up incorrectly and I can jump to a conclusion, I am human and fallible... but I am never wrong because I am too lazy to try to be right.

A friend of mine who knows me pretty well commented on a similar rant that I directed at him. He said that my frustrations when dealing with people were something akin to "rescuer syndrome." People who run animal rescues that get to see all the mistakes and the crappy practices and it modifies their expectations for the world and the way they interact with it. Mine is some kind of "stupid question syndrome" though.

He also told me that I am the worst teacher in the world. He's probably right about that, I can lecture like a champ but I have no patience for any adult that fails to comprehend what has been presented to them. They might or might not get one chance, one shot at an alternate wording as an explanation and then I write them off as defective and incapable of learning.

Oddly though, I have no problems with little kids. Give me a kid somewhere between the age of four and ten with a question about a snake and I'll answer everything they want to know, explain it as many times as I need to and they'll finish up ready to pass at least a freshmen herpetology course in any college you care to name. I know a seven year old kid that can explain the tricarboxylic acid cycle because I happened to be visiting his mother when he asked how plants used sunlight to make food. It's probably got something to do with the way they pay attention and actually try to remember things they are told.

i know you start rants to get stuff off your chest. this one was to see who followed you. tsk tsk tsk but then you got a bit perturbed when people agreed with you. seemed as though in a subtle way you were making an example using your rant. shame on you ;)

i do understand what you are trying to say but do not be so general as to offend the majority of the people reading it. just because you are told you can do no wrong doesn't mean you have to believe it and doesn't mean you expect stuff. all us caudaled people(so to speak) aren't all blind ;)

now i will agree on the increasing number of dumbbutts (LOL) out there searching the wed, playing their video games. not experiencing not learning. some being failed by themselves, some by the system and others by their parents. but they did not ask for that. they were "given" it and there lies the problem.

now, i always knew there was a squishy lil seamus in there. honestly i cant imagine you with kids LOL

NinjaDuo

Parents fault for not having a back bone. You can't fully blame a child, for something the "Parent(s)" didn't teach. I'm nearly 20, and have worked my a** off for a lot of things. I'm struggling with money as a college student at a private baptist school. And its hard every semester seeing if I have enough money for a 27k check per semester.But you can't say the entire generation is a fail. Although I would agree a majority is quite a waste.

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
I like kids when they are old enough to be human, rather than screaming little poop machines, right up until they have a sense of shame and self consciousness imposed on them. They know how to have fun and they generally don't care too much what anyone else thinks. Plus they all love me because I refuse to talk to them like they are simple.

Visit our friends