If you keep a male and female Bearded together,will they breed?

neubauer geckos

Anthony Neubauer
I really wanna get a female bearded for my male,but do not have the space nor funds for the babies(feeding them).Is it possible to keep them together without them breeding,or is it inevitable?Like is there anything that you do special to breed them that I wouldn't do?Thanks for anyone's help!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I only have 1 bearded dragon, but I can't imagine that they wouldn't try to breed and have also heard that the male can really stress out the female from wanting to breed. I would advise against keeping beardies together, especially a male and female (my female laid 125 eggs last year without benefit of a male), but hopefully the beardie experts will chime in as well.

Aliza

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
If there's a girl around, a male will breed her. And even if the eggs aren't fertilized she can still lay them and it takes A LOT out of her. Males are extremely persistent breeders and will pester a female as Aliza said. The only way to keep a pair from breeding is to keep them separated, or have the male surgically sterilized by a qualified reptile vet.

Visit our friends