Im a little worried

Urawrath

I bred my leos this summer and so far 2 eggs have hatched. The first leo is 56 days old and eating like crazy, but the other is 27 days old and hasnt eaten once. The only things that its eaten is its shed (which it has shed many times) Ive tried force feeding her but she only spits it out. Her tail is getting thinner and im worried for her.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Some of them are very slow to eat. Some have metabolic or other problems that may not be obvious at first but appear later. You can try holding it and poking a mealworm at its mouth. The babies tend to bite things so it should bite the mealworm and hopefully eat it. Some of them need this personal and frequent introduction to food. I have several babies that started growing very slowly and didn't eat much. Some of them are now fine and one did not survive but I think that was all for the best.

Aliza

DrCarrotTail

I'd agree with Aliza. I had one baby that refused to eat anything for 5 weeks this season and a couple others that would only eat faster moving prey like dubia and crickets for their first month or two. Glad to say they've all turned around and started eating mealworms. I did keep a close eye on their weights. None of them lost more than .2g before they started eating. As long as they're not losing weight I tend not to worry. Once they start dropping a bit I try the more active prey and/or assist feeding. If the baby is healthy to begin with they usually turn around. Of course there could be internal issues or a deformity of some sort that makes them unable to eat and thrive. Fingers crossed yours starts soon!

Byost86

I have had the same problem I force feed the baby gecko pin head crickets. Only needed to do that a couple of times and the little guy got the idea that they are food. Hope all works out for you.

Visit our friends