I'm getting it together, I think...

merlin

Hello everybody,
I'm getting supplies together and have been watching tons of videos on the actual set ups. Many of these set ups seem very crowded with cork, plants, hides and everything else. At what point is it enough? Some of the set ups I have no idea how they find the gecko once it's in there. Some of them are PACKED while others have a piece of cork, a stick and a plastic plant, that's it. What are the benefits of one or the other?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
More stuff does give the gecko more places to explore and more places to hide. Also, some of those plants aren't going to make it, so the more crowded spaces may not continue to be that crowded. I've found in general that while gargoyle geckos seem to be content to sit on a piece of cork without moving around much, crested geckos move around a lot more so it's nice to give them a variety of options (without making it so packed with stuff that they can't get around).

Aliza

merlin

More stuff does give the gecko more places to explore and more places to hide. Also, some of those plants aren't going to make it, so the more crowded spaces may not continue to be that crowded. I've found in general that while gargoyle geckos seem to be content to sit on a piece of cork without moving around much, crested geckos move around a lot more so it's nice to give them a variety of options (without making it so packed with stuff that they can't get around).

Aliza
That is what I meant. Some of the enclosures seem so packed there is no room for the gecko lol. Thank You for the reply! I will definitely keep that in mind when I build my set up! Everything you said makes perfect sense.

AndyBunn

I guess its a bit about moderation.

The set up i have seems to work well for Carrot, my leopard gecko. He has things to climb over, a hammock to chillout in, a log to climb, a tunnel and rocks to explore.

From time to time I change things around for him, taking things out and putting different things in to keep it interesting for him. The downside of doing this is that he does find change a bit stressful.

The best thing is to find a balance that suits your gecko.

andy and carrot

Attachments

• 08 carrot home 16th June 2022.jpg
    08 carrot home 16th June 2022.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4

merlin

Nice set up! I can't wait to get mine going. It's gonna be a while till I get a cresty. I want to get the enclosure well established first. All this info is extremely helpful, THANK YOU!

Visit our friends