I'm new and wondering about a second leo

srwalter

I've had my female leo (Penelope) for about 3 weeks and I was wondering what the process of introducing another female to her 20 gallon long enclosure would look like. She's adjusted well and trusts me and is almost a year old but I was wondering how long is appropriate to wait to introduce a tank mate. I was also wondering about when to pick her up or do I let her come all the way onto my hand? I've been taking out all the hides and decor daily after the first week to let her smell my hand and she's gotten as far as halfway up my hand on her own. Do I make the move and pick her up or let her adjust more first? I don't want to stress her because she seems to be doing so well (especially since she has some feline sisters that bother her a ton, I've had to a rig a wooden lattice for the top of her tank to keep them off). I'm pretty new to the whole leo thing although I had been seriously considering getting one for a year. I can see how people end up with more than one as I'm already in that boat not even a month in. 75681 60416902487__07D98CF3-9D55-4EFB-85F6-A5A5AE62121E.JPG

LoveReps

If it is your first time carring for a leo and you have only had that leo for 3 weeks i would consider waiting a while to get another leo in my opinion. I would wait and see how responsible I am with one before getting another. If you think you are confident enough to get another leo after a while, go for it. Leo's are amazing companions. 20 gallon is ok for 2 female leos but I wouldn't recommend it. You'd have to cram 3 hides for each leo plus extra bowls. Thats a lot to fit into a 20 gallon. It would also be difficult to properly place heat sources and have cool sides for both of them to accommodate. If you plan to get her a tank mate, please consider a 35 to 40 gallon tank minimum. Please note that if you get a tank mate for her, make sure that the new female is around the same size as your current to prevent bullying. As for holding her, if she doesn't show signs of stress when you are around then it is okay to go ahead and try to pick her up.

srwalter

If it is your first time carring for a leo and you have only had that leo for 3 weeks i would consider waiting a while to get another leo in my opinion. I would wait and see how responsible I am with one before getting another. If you think you are confident enough to get another leo after a while, go for it. Leo's are amazing companions. 20 gallon is ok for 2 female leos but I wouldn't recommend it. You'd have to cram 3 hides for each leo plus extra bowls. Thats a lot to fit into a 20 gallon. It would also be difficult to properly place heat sources and have cool sides for both of them to accommodate. If you plan to get her a tank mate, please consider a 35 to 40 gallon tank minimum. Please note that if you get a tank mate for her, make sure that the new female is around the same size as your current to prevent bullying. As for holding her, if she doesn't show signs of stress when you are around then it is okay to go ahead and try to pick her up.
I figured the tank size was too small and I'm not worried about my responsibility with her as I own multiple other reptiles and my hermit crabs are definitely my most difficult, biggest commitment. Good to know that I'm good to pick her up, definitely want more contact than hand licking and to tame her as effectively as possible.

LoveReps

That's how I am. I own multiple reptiles but they all require different needs. I wait to see how I can handle my first reptile before getting another of the same species, but everyone is different. If you think you got this then I say go for it. Leo's are pretty easy to take care of but I myself prefer the safer route just in case. Just remember to give her enough time to completely settle in before introducing her to another. You wanna reduce stress as much as possible. A little tip: when you are ready to introduce her to another leo, be sure to quarantine the new gecko for a couple weeks beforehand to ensure she doesnt spread any illnesses if she happens to have any. Even if she seems perfectly healthy, and you were told she is, it's better safe than sorry.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Since different people do things different ways, I have to say that I have no problems housing 2 geckos in a 20 gallon long. I occasionally house 3 geckos in an enclosure that size but I add a 12"x12" second floor that has heat and a hide. I've been doing this for over 10 years. If one gecko needs 3 hides, I don't see any reason why 2 geckos need 6 hides. They still have plenty of choices with 3-4 hides. I'm not saying everyone should do it my way, but it has been successful for me.

Aliza

LoveReps

The reason I suggest 3 hides for each is because some geckos dont prefer to share or they become dominant over the hides. Having enough for both can minimize stress and give plenty of hiding spots. Also yes, 20 gallons can safely keep 2 geckos. I wasn't saying they can't be, it just doesn't seem right to have 2 adult geckos in a 20 gallon. The bigger the tank, the more room they have to explore or escape stressful situations. It can be successful of course, but in my opinion, it shouldn't be a long term housing situation.

Visit our friends