Insane Shipping prices?

scotty

So I have been looking into shipping of reptiles. I checked at shipyourreptiles.com and the price of a kit and shipping was like 60 bucks and I think that is just insane. I don't wanna buy the boxes and things in bulk because I don't have tons and tons of geckos that I am selling. I am just a small scale breeder, nothing big like some of you guys (or girls) on here. Without buying boxes and things in bulk, what is the best way to ship live reptiles?

Khrysty

Buy a box of appropriate size (walmart should have one), get some styrofoam from a hardware store (menards, ace hardware, etc) and cut it to fit within the box (all the sides, the bottom, and the top), get a few tupperware containers (walmart, again)...then all you need to do is buy a 40 hour cold or heat pack - - which usually come in packs of 10..that's not really that bad.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
Buy a box of appropriate size (walmart should have one), get some styrofoam from a hardware store (menards, ace hardware, etc) and cut it to fit within the box (all the sides, the bottom, and the top), get a few tupperware containers (walmart, again)...then all you need to do is buy a 40 hour cold or heat pack - - which usually come in packs of 10..that's not really that bad.

After all that it will still cost $45-50 on average to ship a reptile. Shipping is expensive, no way around it.

scotty

yea i was thinking about just buying the Styrofoam,box, and heat packs because it would be a lot cheaper doing it that way. Those kits probably should cost more around 6 or 7 bucks, that might be worth it. Just cutting the styrofoam and all that by myself will average out at about 3 or 4 dollars per box for appropriate shipping of a leopard gecko. Which would make shipping go down almost 20 bucks and i think that people would like that better than 60. I have noticed that shipping through shipyourreptiles.com is cheaper for shipping but not the supplies for it. I thought that they were trying to make things cheaper, but no they werent lol. I have seen those kits online for like 8 bucks cheaper as well.

prettyinpink

After all that it will still cost $45-50 on average to ship a reptile. Shipping is expensive, no way around it.

:main_yes: It sucks... but if I'm getting a nice healthy gecko I personally will pay more. But if it's outrageous I won't. It's also nice to get multiple geckos to do the combined shipping :main_thumbsup:

robin

i think shows and expos are awesome right now considering the price of shipping and all.

scotty

yea i know i love expos and everything but the only expo that was here in michigan moved to the other side of the state lol (just my luck). yea i know i would pay the extra money to get a healthy gecko, but i know that there is people out there like my father who want the cheapest deal. My dad tried to get me to buy a gecko from one of the big chain pet stores. He even tried to talk me out of buying my male sunglow (that i got for 99 bucks including the shipping).

Visit our friends