Introducing a New Puppy?

LizMarie

My mothers friend accidently breed his dog last year and she had a puppy in November and today he called us and told us that he can't take her puppy antics anymore (the peeing on the floor, chewing, running around like a nut in circles, etc) and my mom called me to tell me since we're thinking about taking her in BUT what worries me is my dog. My dog isn't dog aggressive, she enjoys walking out with the neighbors dogs and a romp in the dog part but this is a PUPPY not a well mannered adult.

While we haven't decided on taking her in just yet I'd like to know how you introduce a neutrotic puppy into the mix. My dog loves this dog since she's seen her since she was 2 weeks old but the minute that dog learned to run right behind her she growls and gives a snapping motion, once she did grab her tail but it was just for a quick second and the puppy ran up to her owners lap with this quickness.

Can a 6 year old Jack Russel Terrier/ Poodle mix that's lived alone get along with a 4 month old Unknown Terrier Mix? I don't want to make the wrong decision and keep her from finding a good home through the ASPCA.

goReptiles

It may be a slow introduction, and it really all depends on you. Introduce in a neutral territory- outside or somewhere that your dog isn't used to regularly. Make introductions slow. Below, I have a link to an article I wrote. It may help a little.

http://hubpages.com/_dogs/hub/Bring-Home-A-New-Dog

If you've already introduced the dogs and they get along, then I'm not sure what you're too worried about... Is your concern more can you handle it?

zuurmuskiet

I would take them to a dog park and then just bring the puppy home with your old dog, that way there will be less territorial issues :) Also, you should remember that snapping like that IS how dogs let puppies know that what they are doing is not acceptable and as long as she is not BITING you really should let her do it. It will probably help calm down the new puppy for all of you. I know its hard to see but your dog will probably set its own limits and the puppy will get the hint. Try not to worry too much if you see snappy behavior, only if it turns into a fight.

goReptiles

Dog parks aren't really the best, in general, especially for puppies. But, taking them somewhere is a good idea.

LizMarie

I dunno we had her over night and could only introduce her in our lobby since it was pouring and she's not vaccinated downstairs my dog totally ignored her we bought them up and the puppy started charging at the gate pissing Luna my dog off and they started trying to nip and growl at each other through the partition. Soon the puppy was terrifide and won't come half way to the gate and stays in the room. My dog has been sniffing the partition and the gremlin came running into ramming her body into it pissing luna off again so now she's guarding the partition watching out for her again.

I honestly don't think I can handle her. I didn't realize how hyper she was and how much attention she DEMANDS. She does things like chewing hair, etc. that I don't think I have the time break. If he would have given her up last week when I had off maybe I could have evaluated the situation better. I'm starting to think we're a one dog household, lol. She's cute and I love her but its much more than what I remembered when my dog was a puppy. I pray that her original owner takes her to the aspca because she'll be adopted in a heart beat or a friend of his who lost her 12 year old pomerianian last summer. I feel foolish for taking her in because I'd hate to confuse her and keep pushing her around. She's great though her previous owner complained about her peeing and pooping all over, tearing up the house, not wanting to eat dog food, etc. and she's done none of it I put out a wee wee pad she used it 4 times, put her in a crate now she doesn't want to leave and eats dog food just fine now issues, so I dunnoi what dog he's been looking at?

Visit our friends