Is coconut fiber substrate okay to use for leopard gecko

Athena123

I've seen mixed reviews and want to know if using coconut fiber as a substrate is okay for my leopard gecko

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I did use it in one enclosure for 5 years and had no problems. They are now on tile but there's coco fiber in the humid hides and still no problems.

Aliza

Herpin Man

You shouldn’t be getting it wet enough to need a drainage layer. It should be just moist enough to not be dusty. Blending it with topsoil (30%-40%) would help considerably.

Geckofan.me

I would say if u are going bioactive then you will need a drainage lay , just saying DONT ADD TO MUCH WATER otherwise it takes weeks to dry out , hope this helps !

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The one time I had a bioactive setup for leopard geckos I didn't use a drainage layer because I wasn't misting or watering (I didn't have plants either, but I did have a dermestid beetle cleanup crew). Another choice if you're really worried about that is to go with the substrate from Josh's frogs that doesn't require a drainage layer (at least not for creatures that don't need as much humidity/misting as frogs). I am using it successfully in a few enclosures for crested or gargoyle geckos and it's been fine even though I'm misting every evening.
Aliza

Visit our friends