is it normal?

eric

OREGON GECKO
i just received a new gecko the other day and he started eating right away....the next day i noticed that he regurgitated his meal worms is this normal for a newly acquired gecko?

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
That can happen if a gecko gets stressed, if it eats too fast or too much or food too large for it, if it's eating something it's not used to, if it has digestive tract problems/parasites, or if it doesn't have access to adequate heat to aid in digestion.

I would offer him only a few appropriately-sized mealworms next time you feed him, and if possible, give him ones that have freshly molted (the softer white ones). Make sure the warm end of his enclosure has a surface temp of 90-94 degrees, and that he has a secure, opaque place to hide. He may not be very hungry for a while after regurgitating because of the stress it causes to their system.

I hope that helps.

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
Adult geckos typically take longer to adjust to change than young ones, especially after a very long trip. When our Sunglows were shipped from Canada it took them 3 weeks to start eating properly.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Agreed. It's not uncommon for them to not even want to eat for a day or two after being shipped, and it's best to start out slow with just a few feeders.

L

LeopardLunatic

well that and leos are motion sick mine did that while in a critter carrier except with waxworms it didn't help that i have shaky hands(as i was carring it and i swing my arms a little bit without knowing it.)

Visit our friends