Is it ok if eggs are slightly dented?

D

DontShootMe

Ok I got eggs yesterday and the eggs ain't 100% firm still a little soft like tiny dents. Will it fill in or is it going to dry out?

CoolGeckos

Deaf Herper
Chance of drying out and try cover it with wet towel paper for few hours or a couple days to see if improves.

D

DontShootMe

so i should seperate it from the other egg and put in a wet paper towel?

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
Brian, if they were just laid and only one of the two eggs is slightly dented, I would just set them up and incubate them like you regularly would, but make sure that there's enough humidity in the egg tub for a small amount of condensation to collect on the sides. Also, I'd bury the dented egg a little deeper than normal in the incubation medium.

That's just what I've done for the dented eggs I've had laid so far, and it seems to work just fine.

RaiQuee

Stripes are in!
I agree with Paul! It's safer to have kinda dry eggs that too moist of eggs. You then have to fight mold and the like. In a few days the moisture from the peralite or vermiculite should get absorbed by the egg. If it doesn't, try burying it the medium a bit deeper.

The eggs will tell you if they need more water, by slightly denting a bit. Then you add more. If the egg looks full and round, don't add water. You may end up doing more bad than good :(

D

DontShootMe

so u suggest just to spray the sides slightly of the deli cup right? How many squirts do u suggest?

RaiQuee

Stripes are in!
If it does go dry, and the egg starts dimpling you mist the sides so the water runs into the medium. You never want to spray the eggs directly. I would spraw and kinda stir the medium until it kinda loosely clumps together. You don't want standing water in the container (like at the bottom)

D

DontShootMe

ok I just checked the egg and it's denting more I just sprayed it so hopefully it will fill in. Will it start filling in on it's own soon or will it take a while. I also burried the egg deeper.

D

DontShootMe

I really don't want to lose this egg. The other egg is fine but just that 1 is denting

RaiQuee

Stripes are in!
It will take awhile to absorb the water. Check on it tmw, it should be fine. Like I said, keeping it too wet is more dangerous than keeping it too dry!

PaulSage

I'm baaaaaack!
Sometimes it takes 4-5 days for the egg to plump back up (doing it the way I do) but the babies have hatched just fine and on time. I wouldn't worry too much if it takes a while for the dent to disappear.

Franks_Geckos

Leopard Gecko Addict
It is definitely better to take it slowly when adding moisture to the incubation medium. If the eggs are fertile and growing, they will absorb the moisture they need over time. Do not add too much or spray the eggs directly. Did you follow any procedure or recommendations regarding the preparation of your perlite or vermiculite prior to putting the eggs in there? Are these your first eggs?

D

DontShootMe

my 3rd clutch from her. I sprayed more because it was getting more dented. Hopefully it gets better

Visit our friends