Is it safe to gutload feeders with feed containing prebiotics?

AlexanderR

I'm looking to create a new gutloading mixture for my dubia colony. One of the components will be chicken food pellets, however, I'm reading the ingredients of one 5 litre tub of chicken feed and it contains Bio-Mos prebiotic 8g/kg. Supposedly this Bio-Mos prebiotic enables the safe excretion of bacteria such as E. Coli and Salmonella and stimulates the development of beneficial microorganisms in the gut. However, I'm not sure if this is safe to pass onto leopard geckos, thinking about possible adverse effects? Albeit, I don't think it would cause any harm to the feeders themselves.
So my question is, is it safe for leopard geckos/reptiles to consume feeders that were fed with prebiotics? Is it safe for the feeders themselves to be fed with food containing prebiotics?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I looked up this article: https://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/prebiotics-probiotics-and-intestinal-health/
and got the following quote: "Prebiotics are fiber that feeds the beneficial microorganisms residing in the intestine. Probiotics are live microorganisms that when ingested, can enhance intestinal microbial balance." Based on that, I'd say that the probiotics are primarily fiber and should be fine.

Aliza

Visit our friends