Is it too soon to pick up my gecko?

Hoshi Gecko

I brought Hoshi home Wed night, so she's been home for five days now. She came from a local reptile rescue and seems to be fairly tame, they allowed me to handle her several times at the rescue and she seemed fine. The first two days she was home, she was obviously pretty shy, since then she has warmed up quite a bit, has been eating since day 3, and isn't overly shy when I poke around her terrarium. I'd like to begin handling her, but I'm worried that I would be rushing her. I've been just laying my hand on the floor of her tank and talking to her, while I'm there she will come out, watch me, and even walk across or lick my fingers. But she does not sit on them for long. Sometimes she walks up to the tank closest to me and looks like she's trying to climb the glass, does that mean she wants to come out? Is it too soon to begin handling her?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If she's eating and seems comfortable with you, I don't see any reason not to handle her for brief periods. Just make sure you're not holding her in a place where if she freaks out and you drop her, she's going to run free in the room.

Aliza

Lil Biscuit

It also depends on the type of lizard. Some take a lot more precaution but I feel this is probably a beardie or leo. Overall go get em tiger, slowly... sweetly : )

Hoshi Gecko

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I've handled her for abt 10 minutes 2 days in a row. Shes super sweet, a little squirmy when shes decided she done, but still super awesome! Sorry I didnt mention it in the original post, but yes, Hoshi is a leopard gecko

Lil Biscuit

You're on a good track. I've never really had to deal with any training since I got mine as adults.

However to my knowledge Leo's can kinda just be trained by force : /. Many other geckos (like day geckos and probably most monitors can't). So you'd just kinda pick it up and bring it out. In an area it can't escape or jump from a high place. How old is it? Your way works to, it's up to you.

Hoshi Gecko

Whenever I tried to look up proper timing for gecko handling, everyone just kept saying to 'give them a few days'. I've fostered quite a few birds and other small animals and know what a few days in their minds is, just wasn't sure what 'a few days' to a leo would be. It almost seemed too easy that she would be that calm about it after only a week.

I did make her a play place out of an under bed bin. It's nothing fancy, just tall enough that she can't crawl out and has some repticarpet and toys and diy hides. That's what I've been handling her over just in case she did manage to get away from me. I think I'm going to try handling her daily for short amounts, even if it's just moving her into the play place for a bit.

According to the rescue, she is about a year and a half old. They had her for not quite 5 months, and was one of the calmer, friendlier geckos. I wasn't sure if 'ok with' meant she's 100% tame... and didn't think to ask, cuz I was busy gushing about how cute she is. She seemed much calmer than the other 2 leos and the african fat tail they let me handle.

Lil Biscuit

Sounds like you can just go at it. Gentle of course. Leopard geckos can be trained basically by force. At keast tgats what id reccomend

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Many leopard geckos can be tamed and I'm glad yours is working out. That said, I have a few leopard geckos and crested geckos that just hate to be handled and it hasn't changed despite working with them. I just have to let them be.

Aliza

Visit our friends